desparate plee for help on how to ditch dummy and get sleep back

(4 Posts)
dellabob Mon 17-Feb-14 09:40:57

my beautiful daughter is 6 1/2 months now and from about 8 weeks old we introduced a dummy to help her sleep. She is a really happy, gorgeous girl who is so contented during the day, happy, never cries and doesn't need the dummy. she used to feed to sleep and go through to 3.30 feed with no dummy. Then the feed would make her sleep again, with maybe a wake up a little later for the dummy. She has 5 feeds a day and we introduced BLW a couple of weeks ago - all going great. In the last few weeks though, she has been waking up every hour, every 15 minutes some nights mostly for the dummy. I feed her around 3.30 give or take. She's clean, warm and I don't know what is wrong or what to do any more.

She has never self settled and my husband and I are up all the time like a tag team trying to get her to sleep. Every night is the same now and we are just worn out an don the verge of tears.

I've tried to leave her crying on some occassions, but she has made herself sick when I've gone in to pick her up and the crying kills me. But, I fear this is the only way?

Can someone help me? What are we doing wrong? How can we get her off the dummy? Can someone tell me step by step how to do the cold turkey approach and when best to do this?

dellabob Mon 17-Feb-14 13:04:57

Anyone who has managed to drop the dummy successfully - please share your tips. Really need to get some sleep and get my baby ome much needed sleep too.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Mon 17-Feb-14 21:27:52

I did cold turkey with DD when she was 7months as we were going in to put her dummy in 4 or 5 times a night. She was never interested in the dummy during the day, so I started with day time and took it away for all naps, I'm not going to lie to you it was hard work and I ended up taking her out for walks at nap times a lot! As she would sleep in the buggy without the dummy. She has a soft toy monkey that she sleeps with that we introduced when she went into her own cot. Once the dummy was removed she started sucking his tail, but once she started doing that she could settle herself to sleep. So now we have a monkey dependence instead of a dummy! Sorry that wasn't really helpful, getting a baby to sleep with or without props is just one big mystery to me!

saffstel Mon 17-Feb-14 21:36:56

Went cold turkey with both of my dds. First child = 2 nights of hell with many hours of screaming
2nd child = some fussing but managed to self settle in her first nap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now