Early rising 2 yo, time to drop the nap?

(9 Posts)
JanePurdy Sun 16-Feb-14 05:52:31

DC2 is 2y 5m & has started waking at 5.30, which is the wrong side of 6am for me! Could it be a sign of needing to drop the nap? She currently goes to sleep at 8pm, wakes at 5.30 & naps 1 - 2.30 (would sometimes like to sleep for longer but we wake her after 1.5hrs). She is tired at lunchtime & asks for her nap, in fact I can't quite imagine her making it through without a nap... I thought nap dropping time was when they were fighting going down for nap & in the evening but can it be early rising too?

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 16-Feb-14 06:23:37

Mine wakes then but definitely needs his nap. Sorry!
I try to be grateful it's not 5am or 4:30, as he has woken that early before!

JanePurdy Sun 16-Feb-14 06:31:14

I know it's in the realm of normal waking, just an uncomfortable shift from a 6.10 onwards wake up! Exacerbated by the fact she shares with dd1 who doesn't want to wake up at 5.30 either!

NormHonal Sun 16-Feb-14 06:35:00

Same as AndMiffy my 2.5yo DC2 still needs a nap (we limit it to an hour at most) but wakes from 5.20am.

On the odd nap-free day he crashes out at 6pm but still wakes early.

We have the same issue with DC1 being woken (DC1 is at school and needs sleep!) so I don't have a solution for that. Sorry!

FadBook Sun 16-Feb-14 06:41:27

I never found dropping the nap = later waking

Dd is programmed to wake at 5.30, we were bf'ing still and stopped recently -it's mildly improved

Have you got a grow clock? That's also working ish she can bloody change the time so sun comes up straight away

She's currently playing in her room as I've repeatedly said I'm not getting up until gro clock sun has come uo (set for 6.55 today!)

When I denya nap I just get a cranky 30 month old.

LittleMilla Sun 16-Feb-14 20:51:51

Limit daytime nap (my DS is only allowed 1 hour max).

Don't give them milk/breakfast until after the time you want them to get up (7.30 is the earliest in our house).

Gro clock - has really worked for us.

LOADS of fresh air and exercise, weather permitting of course!

shushpenfold Sun 16-Feb-14 20:55:00

My ds woke at this time every single day in life and is still downstairs before everyone else in the house (he's 13 now) Had we tried to take away the post lunch nap though he would have fallen asleep in his tea.....in fact I have photos of him asleep in his lunch as he could barely make it through til 12.30pm grin

notasausage Sun 16-Feb-14 21:14:11

My DD2 (2.5) has just dropped her nap of her own accord and it's going fine. DD1 was still having an hour several days a week when she was 4 - they're all so different. When she goes to bed does she go to sleep quickly? If so then I think she still needs a nap and the early waking is just one of those things. I would also recommend a GroClock. I think 8pm bedtime is a bit late too. Both mine go at 7pm.

JanePurdy Tue 18-Feb-14 07:50:56

She is in bed earlier but doesn't fall asleep till 8pm.

Yesterday she didn't have a nap because we were out & about - first time ever - she was knackered but held it together just... Was asleep by 7pm & woke up at 6.45am. Think we will try limiting the nap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now