Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Pls help - wife is due this week

(13 Posts)
confusedinlondon Sat 15-Feb-14 22:12:18

I just need some help with how to dress baby when sleeping. baby is due in the next few days.
The baby will be in a mosses basket and the mosses basket will be in a cot. The mosses basket will have just the standard sheet, covering the mattress.
The baby will be wearing a baby vest and a full baby sleep suit. The baby will be covered with a cellar blanket, it won't be folded. Is this OK, I have been reading about babies overheating and i am scared of making the baby too warm.
The baby's head won't be covered.
Is this OK? the room temp should be between 16 and 20. if it gets too cold should we but the baby in another top? I am worried that having two blankets will the moses basket. what about during the day, is it ok for the baby to wear the same sort of things during the day?

Should I get a baby temp monitor? How would i know if its too hot or cold? Also, about feeding - wife plans to breast feed, but if she is too tired or sleeping if it ok to use baby formula or should we stick it one thing? How would a breast pump work, would we need to heat the milk afterwards, how is the milk kept warm?

SoonToBeSix Sat 15-Feb-14 22:26:16

That's not enough layers baby needs a sheet and two blankets. OR a 2.5 tog sleeping bag in this weather.

SoonToBeSix Sat 15-Feb-14 22:28:46

Yes the baby can wear the same in the day but probably just one blanket . Baby would wear a cardigan when not in Moses basket. Best way to tell if a baby is warm enough is to feel their stomach as hands are often cold.

pootlebug Sat 15-Feb-14 22:29:45

Vest + sleepsuit +one layer of cellular blanket isn't enough for 16 degrees or anywhere near.

Baby Sleeping bags (gro bags etc) are great if your little one hits the minimum weight limit. Otherwise you'll need to double up cellular blankets etc. And make sure the vest is long sleeved.

If you go with breastfeeding it is easiest to not either give formula or express in the first 6 weeks or so whilst you establish breastfeeding. Giving formula can inhibit breastmilk production (baby feeding stimulates milk production) and expressing is just an extra hassle and pain you don't need in the early days.

plannedshock Sat 15-Feb-14 22:36:32

Woah!!! Loads of questions! Will try and work through!
Feeding, your wife, if she feeds will be feeding from anything between 10mins-1 hr every hr or 2/3/4hrs she will get tired, but it's best to try and stick to it until feeding is established you can make it easier for her by seeing to the house/cooking/bringing cups of tea. You can mix feed with formula too, it's up to you guys. Think about expressing closer to the time some people find it easy, some hate it, then there's the type of pump, manual/electric, personal preference.
Breastfeeding is hard work and can be quite painful to start with, she made need support-see health visitor.
Baby temp-what you have planned sounds fine, no hats for bed although they put one on them in hospital. Use breathable covers cellular/cotton vest and baby grow with a blanket is perfect indoors. Baby might like swaddling-ask for demo in hospital. I guess it's handy to have a thermometer but don't be obsessed common sense will tell you if they feel warm or not!
If it's any reassurance temperature was the 1 thing I was most 'lost' with. They are better cooler than too hot. Baby hands and feet do feel cold, its not an indication that they are frozen!

plannedshock Sat 15-Feb-14 22:38:09

Forgot to mention, use more blankets winter or swaddle.

minipie Sat 15-Feb-14 22:38:20

Re temperature:

Feel the back of their neck or their chest to see how warm they feel, should be warm but not hot to the touch. never heard of a baby temp monitor. Room temp monitor plus feeling their skin should be fine.

personally I would keep the room temp more like 18-20, 16 is too cold for a newborn IMO. or you could put more layers on (eg long sleeved vest or a cardigan). Baby sleeping bags are brilliant once your baby is big enough (8lb and up usually, depends on the brand).

Some babies prefer to be cooler, some to be warmer, it's a bit trial and error.

It's very unlikely your baby would overheat if the room is at 18-20 and you only have 2 cotton layers plus one blanket on them. More likely they might be a bit cold, especially in the first week or two before they learn to regulate their own temperature.

Be prepared that your baby may want to sleep in your or your wife's arms and not in their basket for the first week or two or longer, this is normal and they will learn to sleep in their basket as they get a little older. Sleeping in shifts or co sleeping helps if this happens with yours.

Re feeding:

The first couple of weeks are important for establishing the mother's milk supply and technique. giving a bottle during this time can interfere with that (it means the mother's body doesn't register as much demand, and it can lead to the baby preferring a bottle because it's easier than breast). However it's absolutely not the end of the world to give a bottle once or twice if she is exhausted.

Of course there are lots of ways you can help which don't involve giving a bottle, for example winding and settling the baby after feeds, taking over after the first morning feed so she can have a lie in till the next feed, making sure she eats well, taking care of laundry dishwasher etc. If she finds it difficult then help her find a good breastfeeding counsellor or breastfeeding drop in cafe.

Breast pump - again not usually advised during first week or so. breast milk stays fresh in the fridge for about 4 days, then warm it by putting the full bottle in hot water for a few mins. Don't microwave it.

My general advice: don't expect your baby to do what the books say!

Best of luck smile

confusedinlondon Sat 15-Feb-14 22:46:39

Thanks. I am just v. nervous.

I will go for two cellar blankets to keep the baby warm and will make sure the room is around 18, and we will go for the babygro when the baby is 3 months. At the prenatal classes they said that whatever layers we wear plus one is enough for the baby.

SoonToBeSix Sat 15-Feb-14 22:48:27

Don't be nervous a lot of babycare is instinct smile

Helenc19 Sat 15-Feb-14 22:49:00

Hi confused, I can understand your worries about overheating you definitely should get a room thermometer but it doesnt need to be a fancy baby one. Baby will need more than one blanket at this time of year and its better to add layers with blankets than clothes as if baby does gets hot its easier to remove a banket than a bodysuit and the temp can fluctuate in the night so you will need to add or remove blankets if it does. You can check babies temp by feeling the back of their neck nog forehead. If baby wakes lots and is grumpy they may be too cold.
yes just dress baby the same in the day.
if baby is breastfed - in the early days avoid using formula so a good supply can be established but its fine to use if your wife is really not able to feed and she can pump instead. Exoressed milk can be fed at room temp if the baby likes it like that or warned by standing in a jug of hot water it shouldn't be microwaved.
good luck for the birth of your little one.

FannyBazaar Sat 15-Feb-14 22:52:55

You are right, 16-20 is the recommended room temperature for a newborn sleeping, this is what the NHS guidelines recommend.

Help your wife to be able to feed the baby lying down so if she is sleeping and you are awake, you could bring the baby to her and help her to latch baby on. She can sleep while feeding the baby that way. Chances are she will wake before the baby anyway.

NickyEds Mon 17-Feb-14 11:29:53

Don't be too nervous about the temp- get a room thermometer but don't watch it continuously- we did and that way madness lies!! vest, sleepsuit and 1 or 2 cellular blankets should be fine-if you're in pjs and under a duvet then baby might need more than 1 cellular blanket. Why the moses in the cot? This is often done to get the baby used to a cot a bit later-are you anxious to get the baby into their cot? We found that we wanted the moses right next to the bed- easy access and you can check on them just by opening your eyes- it's still there at 8 weeks.
Don't worry too much about the moses though it is very common for babies to want to be held for the first couple of weeks rather than going into the moses. You'll be fine- you're getting far more prepared than we were!!

darjeelingdarling Wed 19-Feb-14 21:00:19

re breast feeding I strongly advise you call the nct bf helplines or la leche league or similar and find out about your local breastfeeding support network - it's a much more complicated thing than many think! but wonderful smile no need for formula. if there's any pain, and better latching does not help, ask baby to be checked for tongue tie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now