What time does your 4yo go to sleep?

(9 Posts)
smornintime Thu 30-Jan-14 21:03:36

Mine used to be fine with a 7-730 bedtime but over the last couple of weeks he is like a jack-in-the-box. Loads of excuses to get up and generally not nodding off until much nearer 830-9. He is singing at the moment.
when do they genuinely start to need less sleep?

TheTertiumSquid Thu 30-Jan-14 21:05:37

My 4 year old still goes down at 7pm with her 18m old brother. She really needs 12.5 or 13hr sleep a night but doesn't usually get it - the DCs get up some time between 7 and 7.30am.

zipzap Thu 30-Jan-14 21:14:38

ds1 was always a good sleeper and generally asleep by about 8 when he was 4 - now he is 8 he is usually tired by 9.

ds2 is a crap sleeper and by 4 was usually still awake at 10-12. He is now 5 and is still usually awake until at least 10.

They are in their bedrooms but I let them play quietly, listen to music quietly and just generally be quiet in the dark (landing light is on though).

My dsis has 3 dd's and even though the eldest is now 10, youngest are 6 & 5 they are all asleep by 7.30. Eldest one now might be awake until 8 or even 8.30 if it is not a school night and she's not feeling tired.

Needless to say I'm very envy of the fact that my dsis gets evenings to herself - if I want to do things in the evening then I don't get to start thinking about it usually until at least 10pm which is late to be starting stuff. I just sneak a few minutes on MN instead grin

DD is just turned 5 and in Reception, she's usually knackered and asleep somewhere between 7-7.30. Seemingly falls asleep pretty much as soon as the light goes off.

DS is 7.5 and is usually asleep around 8ish (complains that it takes him ages to get to sleep, but is happy to read in bed)

AndiMac Thu 30-Jan-14 21:20:46

Up between 6:45 and 7am, down between 7:15 and 7:35pm. If he's not been doing much all day like a slow weekend day without much exercise, he can go until probably around 8:15pm.

PookBob Thu 30-Jan-14 21:21:18

DS is at pre-school for 3 hours day, up at 7am and asleep for 6.20-30pm. School, and the walk to and back really seems to exhaust him!

ZingSweetApple Thu 30-Jan-14 21:47:31

he is 4 in May.

up at 7am, nap after lunch varies from none to 2.5 hours depending on the day and the previous night.
bedtime is around 8pm, he does actually fall asleep easily.

tanimbar Fri 31-Jan-14 21:35:07

zipzap, sorry to hijack, but do you think your children simply don't need much sleep, or do they just find getting to sleep difficult? My 4yo really struggles to drop off, but then needs to sleep in the next day/is tired and grumpy.

smornintime Sat 01-Feb-14 19:35:32

Thanks for the replies!
DS (or DD18m) usually wakes 630-700. Once one of them is up the other is sure to follow.
Last night I thought I had complained too soon - he went to bed and went straight to sleep...but here we are with the jack in the box routine again. I've only just come downstairs and already he is messing about in the bathroom. The thing that gets me is that he looks wrecked every morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now