My child will NOT SLEEP!!!!!

(6 Posts)
Bridget14 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:05:19

My little boy use to be amazing with bedtime he use to sleep all night in his bed infact wouldn't sleep anywhere else!

But since turning 2 (he is 4 in March) he will not sleep in his own bed! He goes down at about 7-7.30 but won't let me just read him a story I have to sit with him till e falls asleep, (which I didn't mind as I could read a few chapters of his book and he would be out for the count) & 3 out of 7 nights he would wake up but we could put him back down no problem, then all of a sudden he just will not sleep!

I sit with him till he is asleep and by 10.30-11 he is awake and screaming for me to sit with him will not have it any other way, so I do and he falls back over after a little bit then I'm in my bed and by 1.30am screaming again and comes in my bed! Won't sleep unless he is in my bed!

I am 29 weeks pregnant and I am trying to stay calm and relaxed with bedding but I'm so down! So tired! I need my own sleep as he does his! He will not have his dad bed him screams and screams for me! I am trying to explain to him that he can't keep screaming as there is going to be a baby soon,

I ask for advice of family and I get no support it's all my fault I need to deal with it or just let him sleep in y bed or brig his bed through to my room...but soon I'll be having a crib in there and the last thing I want is it pused over!

I have suggested a gate on his door that we he can still see out and been given nothing but abuse for wanting to do this!

I need friendly advice!
I have been trying since august 2013 to crack down on this for the new baby coming and no luck!

I have tried

Walks after tea
Long baths
Soothing music
Sitting with him till he falls back asleep (but now that isn't working)
Ignoring him
Putting him back to bed without a word,
Reward charts
Talking to him to explain things

nothing works!
I am so upset the last thing I need is for this to continue when the new one is here!

I hae asked my health visitor and been told fa a stage but this has been going on for 2 years now!

noblegiraffe Wed 29-Jan-14 23:09:50

Can you go away for a couple of nights? Break the cycle of needing you?

Bridget14 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:13:20

I wish, he has nursery every morning now and my partner works 5 days a week and he gets away with myrder at his nanas house so can't send him there for a few nights that makes it worse

Bridget14 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:21:12

The worst part is my partner just gives up and leaves me to deal with it, I can't remember the last full night sleep I had! & he comes in from work saying he is tired! So I'm I!

noblegiraffe Wed 29-Jan-14 23:26:13

I think your partner needs to take some holiday to help you sort this, tbh. While you are in the house your DS will scream until he gets what he wants, and you are in no fit state to tackle it on your own.

Tell your partner it has been going on for 2 years and now it is his turn.

summerlovingliz Thu 30-Jan-14 11:02:36

I had exactly the same as you ! very needey ds age 2 and a bit and baby on the way! They are now 3 and a half and one and is much better. It is a worry with baby on the way but you will get through it.. Here is what we did.... I was having to lay in his vex every nite until he went to sleep and same if he woke in night with eventually relenting and letting him in with us, so I did the gradual retreat thing and it worked within a fortnight.. I said to him 1st night I'm not lying next to u tonite but I will sit on bed, which I did for 2 or 3 nights, then I moved to the floor next to bed for 2 or 3 nights etc until I was right next to door, then I went outside door and he just accepted it. I really found that this made an immediate difference to overnight as well.. If they wake in the night do the same. If they cry want you in bed you really firmly say no, every time and threaten that it's your way or u will go away completely.
If you don't have the energy to start this tonite, give yourself a few days of letting him have his way so that u can sleep and be prepared for the strength to crack this. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now