ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Bedtimes?

(5 Posts)
Beccawoo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:10:46

Just wondering what times DCs go to bed and how people manage bedtime routines with more than one DC? My ds(4) and dd(2) both bath together around 6.30, then do stories together and tend to be down by 7 or so most nights. They then sleep through till around 6.30-7am.

My dss (5) stays every sat night and generally goes to bed at the same time, but always seems wide awake at 5.30am! DP has said he needs to go to bed later, and wants to know when I will move DS bedtime to later too. Obviously dss sort of wants to go to bed when DS does, they share a room too, but I don't see why I should keep DS up later when he sleeps fine at that time.

Just wondered what sort of bedtimes DCs of similar ages have and how people work it when they are close in age/share a room etc! To add to my difficulty, DP has to stay in the room with dss till he is asleep too!

Thebluedog Tue 28-Jan-14 14:14:36

DD2 age 23 months goes at 7 or just before, DD1 6 years goes up at 7.30.

I bath them both at the same time. DD1 goes to bed straight after, DD2 is allowed downstairs whilst I read to Dd1 then DD2 goes up and I read to her, she's normally in bed and asleep by 7.30

UriGeller Tue 28-Jan-14 14:27:06

Ds3 goes to bed at 8. Always has done.. Sleeps til 7:30-8am. Might wake for a wee but in general sleeps soundly.

Dd1 goes to bed at 7.30, is obnoxious if kept up any later and sleeps fitfully, waking 5-6 times during the night and wakes for good at 6ish.

Same routine, different humans!

BoysRule Tue 28-Jan-14 14:31:29

I've always had a rule that my children go straight to bed (with a story) after bath as I don't want a battle of them coming downstairs and having to get them back up!

DS1 (4) and DS2 (1) have a bath together, then story and are in bed by 7pm. They don't get up until 7am. DS1 has complained that he is awake earlier (he has a groclock and doesn't get up until the sun comes up). So we put a where's wally book next to his bed and if he wakes up and is bored he can put his bedside light on and look at that.

It would be hard to have separate bedtimes for DSS and DS. As it is every Saturday you could have a different rule of bedtime at 7.30pm. However, DSS might just be excited as he is with his Dad - I think 7pm is reasonable for a 5 year old.

Beccawoo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:37:43

Yes Boys, I think he's just excited to be at dads and I'm not convinced a later bedtime will actually make any difference to waking time for him. We did 7.30-7.45 this sat just for him, and he was still up early. I get the feeling DP wants to keep him up till about 8.30 or so! Maybe I should just put my DCs down at 7 on a sat and go out for the evening and leave him to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now