1 year old compulsively standing aaalllll night long. Any advice on what/what not to do?

(8 Posts)
Bobsmyaunty Sat 25-Jan-14 09:08:12

It's been compounded by the fact this became a problem just as she became really poorly and started teething so she slept with me (wailed so hard she threw up when I tried to put her in the cot.).

She's better now, so for the last 3 nights I've been laying her down and then shhh patting her until she falls asleep. However... it's not getting better! Last night she woke up every hour/2 hourly from 7 until 1.30 and then was awake and compulsively standing from 1.30 until 4.30am. It's like she drifts off and then her body goes STAND UP. And she does.

I'm thinking I might need to start laying her down and then leaving the room for a few minutes at a time. Coming back in, laying her down etc..

Has this worked for you? Any advice would be very very gratefully received.

Phineyj Sat 25-Jan-14 09:11:36

Yes, we lie DD back down and leave the room - it normally works. Does she have a grobag? It at least makes it harder to balance! DD is standing up in her cot right now refusing to nap, as it happens -- good luck grin

Bobsmyaunty Sat 25-Jan-14 09:27:35

Thanks Phineyj. Will try the grobag. I took her out and put her in a padded sleep suit thing in case the grobag tripped her up, but maybe it's just making it easier!

One of mine did this for a while - v wearing...

'Tis a phase, like to many things.
Yes, try a sleeping bag.
I'd only lie her back down if she was upset - otherwise I'd let her stand until she has enough/falls asleep standing up.

There's a photo of my aged just over 1, standing asleep in my cot, clinging on to the bars for dear life, but clearly totally out for the count grin.

This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass... repeat after me wink

Bobsmyaunty Sat 25-Jan-14 09:51:06

Thanks PacificDogwood. That's a plan... I'm going to go for it tonight.... let it happen and only go in and lie her down if she's sounding upset.

Good god I never ever imagined being a parent would be as hard as it is!

This shall pass, shall pass, shall pass. Yep - that's kinda works!

kalidasa Sat 25-Jan-14 19:51:03

Oh god no advice but came on searching for exactly this thread. DS 13 months is doing precisely the same thing, I have seen him do it with his eyes closed, it is totally compulsive! He has only just got the standing up though earlier this week so we are hoping it's the novelty and won't last long.

Bobsmyaunty Tue 28-Jan-14 08:01:25

kalidasa how are you getting on? After sticking to the routine of laying her down, stroking her head and then leaving, it's got much better in our house. Only one wake up last night - I am over the moon. And I only had to do 2 trips in to lie her down.

kalidasa Tue 28-Jan-14 08:45:56

Hi bobsmyaunty we took the opposite tack and stayed with him, and went back to soothing him to sleep ourselves rather than leaving him to self-settle, but it's settling down for us too. Last night was better I think we are over the worst. Hopefully it is a short but intense phase while they are coming to terms with this new skill! We tried putting him back in his sleeping sack thing but he just stood straight up in it, no problems . . . so that didn't work. Maybe the conclusion is that it doesn't really matter how you deal with it as long as you DC feels you have a strategy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now