Napping difficulties 11 week old with reflux

(7 Posts)
Kate120673 Mon 20-Jan-14 21:37:22

Hi,

I have an 11 week old who I am struggling to get to nap and to then stay asleep. She has had a difficult first few months with severe reflux and cow milk allergy. I went dairy free but she still reacted badly to breastfeeding within a couple of hours so she is now bottle fed nutramigen. I am not sure if it is due to weeks of pain but she now is very difficult to settle for a nap and will always cry herself to sleep in my arms. I have to walk her outside all morning to ensure she gets at least an hour and then she will only settle for half an hour (on her front, whilst being watched) in the afternoon. If I want her to sleep for longer she has to then be on my chest so I get nothing done at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Happydaze77 Mon 20-Jan-14 22:48:53

Hi Kate. We went through a similar thing 12 months ago, when dd was the same age as yours.

A few ideas that worked for us:

To help her reflux have you tried raising the head-end of her mattress slightly? We even put dd in her car seat for some of her naps (ok for short periods) It was more upright and more snug than her moses/crib.

A sling may help you to get a few things done if she would nap in that?

Short naps are frustratingly common at that age. Like you we would usually get a good morning nap but then it was catnaps all the way!

Pram walks were the best way to get dd to nap - I think the motion must soothe them. Is there anyone who could help you out with those?

Kate120673 Mon 20-Jan-14 23:30:42

Thanks, we have tried the moses being raised and I walk her in sling then often get small jobs done on returning home whilst she is still in the sling. She isn't keen on car seat unfortunately. I just can never envisage having a good sleep routine with her.

stargirl1701 Mon 20-Jan-14 23:31:14

Is she on meds for the reflux?

Kate120673 Tue 21-Jan-14 09:35:02

Yep she's on ranitidine and did have gaviscon but stopped it as she was too constipated. I think reflux is improving but that it's left her finding it hard to settle.

stargirl1701 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:00:53

You could try omeprazole rather than ranitidine.

Kate120673 Tue 21-Jan-14 16:27:04

thank you I will discuss with GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now