15 week old waking every hour - help!

(16 Posts)
Pusspuss1 Thu 28-Nov-13 09:43:53

My EBF 15 week old, not the greatest sleeper anyway, has been waking once an hour to feed after midnight, for the last 2 nights. It is nearly killing me! He usually goes down happily at 6 or 7pm and then sleeps until 1pm or so, then feeds and wakes again after another 3 hours, then 2 hours etc.

Any thoughts on what might be causing him to wake more frequently?

Many thanks in advance.

ouryve Thu 28-Nov-13 09:45:29

growth spurt.

feed feed feed, then it'll get better.

humphryscorner Thu 28-Nov-13 09:47:23

I feel your pain!

Dd is 7months and I've been there ..... Multiple times!

I've recently starting doing the baby whisper and had my first nights sleep in 7 months last night!!

Try it . Good luck!!!

whyno Thu 28-Nov-13 10:13:54

Are you me? Was coming on to post the same thing. I think she (14 weeks) is going to actually break me.

jimijack Thu 28-Nov-13 10:18:14

Growth spurt.
Normal.
Shouldn't last long.
15 weeks feeding is need not habit.

Sympathies, it's a killer.

[Brew]

humphryscorner Thu 28-Nov-13 10:25:52

Are you 'tanking' them up before 12am I found cluster feeding really helped.

Dd 'growth spurt' of waking up ever hour did progress in to all out bad habit as she was waking every 45mins - it was fucking awful. I was that tired I felt pissed! That led on to dd getting in to our bed as we were just so fucking tired. Which in turn led to no sleep at all !

I never ever wanted to be ruled by a schedule to thankfull it worked - Fingers crossed !

Pusspuss1 Thu 28-Nov-13 11:28:36

Really, a growth spurt? I do hope so, I can just about live with it if it doesn't last too long!

I was worried he might have started reverse cycling for some reason. Also worried that my milk supply might not be enough for him (boobs no longer feel full), and/or that my feeding on demand may be causing bad habits. All my NCT friends seem to have their 3 month old babies on a schedule and having at least some formula, and their babies seem to be sleeping much better than my little monster! I really want to get to 6 months EBF if I can, though.

I have the Baby Whisperer book - must have another look.

Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it. xx

ouryve Thu 28-Nov-13 13:04:03

Night time feeding is important for building up supply, which is what your baby is doing. Your supply will adjust to your baby's increased need. It's exhausting, but keep reminding yourself of the physiology behind this cluster feeding and you'll get past 6 months, no problem and should hopefully find it plain sailing to keep going past that time, if that suits you.

Pusspuss1 Thu 28-Nov-13 16:23:13

Thanks very much, I hope so!

pinkr Fri 29-Nov-13 07:00:35

Oh god I could've written this...she's 14 Weeks and has been doing this since 12 Weeks. I'm on my knees. She's getting worse and is actually sometimes only going 40 mins before she's off again. If it doesn't end soon i'm going to be a gibbering wreck

Pusspuss1 Sat 30-Nov-13 12:24:25

Night before last wasn't quite as bad, waking every 2 hours instead of every hour, but last night was terrible, back to waking every hour! My milk supply seems to have increased, on the bright side - I can feel that my boobs are much fuller. DS is still feeding loads day and night. DH/DM/DMIL keep telling me he needs some solids, but I think it's still too early, and I don't want to throw out my supply by supplementing him. Gritted teeth it is!

BeanoNoir Sun 01-Dec-13 05:43:59

I've got this with my 17 week old. It's been going on since 12 weeks and I'm bloody shattered and have toddler to look after too. Last two nights I've ended up co sleeping as it's got to the point where I can't even get him to settle in his cot at all. What do I do?

Curioushorse Sun 01-Dec-13 06:16:33

Hullo!

It's classic four month sleep regression.....

Be warned though, mine is now 22weeks and pretty much still doing it. I've had to get more childcare for my toddler as I can't cope during the day and the house needs a channel 4 programme about it. On the plus side, I'm so tired idon't actually feel tired. I just don't really function.

cupcake78 Sun 01-Dec-13 06:21:10

Yep. 4 month sleep regression.

We've had issues with dd since week 16, she was 22 weeks yesterday and I've had 3.5 hrs broken sleep.

Last night was unexpectedly bad and more to do with her having a cold and sore eyes.

It's another one of those phase things wink

cakebaby Sun 01-Dec-13 08:36:13

Excuse me for crashing in...... my 14 wk old has reverted to 2 hourly wakings for the last week. It's KILLING me. I can't think rationally, should I be trying to manage his NW fuck knows how, i can't even function or discourage them? Or do I just go with it? Is this a behavioural thing or a growth thing? God damn I'm so tired I feel pissed and have a constant high pitched eeeeeeeeeeee in my ears, argggghhhh!

lolalotta Sun 01-Dec-13 20:08:31

It can last until 22 weeks???? shock
My 14 week old has only been at it a few nights and I feel dizzy and sick with it by 5.00pm!!!! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now