Terrified of co-sleeping after febrile convulsion

(5 Posts)
FairisleFrost Wed 30-Oct-13 20:34:25

Have co-slept with DD since birth but in the early hours of yesterday she had her first (terrifying) febrile convulsion. Although im glad I was in with her as I awoke as soon as she started fitting and could act quickly, I feel guilty that my body heat could have added to her rising temp causing the convulsion sad

Found out at the hospital that her high temp was caused by tonsilitus so her temp is still quite high, even though we are managing it with calpol and nurofen.

Last night I made up a bed for her downstairs in the living room and I 'slept' on the sofa (more like watching her like a hawk) so I could keep a close eye on her.

Now I am scared of co-sleeping again because she needs to be kept cool and I dont want my body heat to cause her to get hot. I also dont want her to sleep in her cot incase she has another convulsion and I dont realise.

Any tips on keeping her cool if we continue to co-sleep? I realise I may be being paranoid but the convulsion has left me quite shaken I thought she was dying in my arms sad

Ruralninja Wed 30-Oct-13 21:12:33

can you get an nct Bednest so she is next to you but not in bed & potentially overheating? it doesn't seem worth the risk to repeat the exercise

FairisleFrost Wed 30-Oct-13 21:22:49

She is 18 mo so maybe a bit big for a nest, but sleeping next to the cot is a good idea, could maybe rearrange some furniture to get her cot next to my bed.

Thankyou

Lazylegs Thu 31-Oct-13 06:10:42

My dd had a febrile convulsion at 10 mths. Terrifying as she stopped breathing and went purple and of of the blue it seemed but rest assured no after effects. It is bodies way of regulating itself. Some ppl believe co sleeping helps babies regulate their temp and if safe guidelines followed can save lives. Read this article. Don't blame yourself. Co sleeping has many benefits. http://neuroanthropology.net/2008/12/21/cosleeping-and-biological-imperatives-why-human-babies-do-not-and-should-not-sleep-alone/?goback=.gde_3807570_member_5801015485122236417#%21

littledid Thu 31-Oct-13 08:13:39

I am so sorry to hear you have had such a shock. Our Ds1 suffered from febrile convulsions and I know how frightening they can be. Just to reassure you, we co-slept with him and he suffered his first fit just after we moved him to his toddler bed. As I understand it, it is not the actual temperature which causes the convulsion, but rather the speed at which it peaks, so I very much doubt your body temperature had anything to do with it.
We ended up buying one of these Sidesleeper (although this one appears to be out of stock). They are great as you are still co-sleeping, yet can maintain some distance if you are worried about your little one overheating again. Our Ds2 is still quite comfortable in it at the age of 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now