How long will co sleeper last?

(12 Posts)
Rollermum Wed 30-Oct-13 16:40:59

I am thinking of getting this John Lewis Troll co sleeper

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/troll-bedside-crib-white/p231330995

Any idea how long this might last us? She's already looking big in the Moses basket and bashes her arms on the sides (hates swaddling).

Co slept with 5 wk old DD last night at 4am. She also better / longer but I'm not keen to co sleep normally (I'm technically obese, my bed is high and squashy and usually DH is there).

Rollermum Wed 30-Oct-13 16:41:38
Andcake Wed 30-Oct-13 16:47:41

It doesn't look very big I'm not sure it would last very many months - as they grow v quickly particulialry around 4-6 months. As we didn't cosleep until after 6 mo - when ds started waking hourly we just side carred our normal cot (John Lewis Anna) following something like this as guidelines http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html there are loads of videos etc on how to do it if you google

Andcake Wed 30-Oct-13 16:48:20
allbottledup Wed 30-Oct-13 19:29:01

You might find it better value to rent a Bednest. It's £99 for six months. I very much doubt that DD will make it to six months in hers (97th centile for length) so I'm glad we didn't fork out to buy a co-sleeper outright.

Rollermum Thu 31-Oct-13 17:43:09

Thanks so much Andcake! I just took the side off the crib and put it next to to bed. Had to se a second matress to get the height right but is great!

Allbottledup thanks for the link - it hadn't occurred to me to rent. I'm going to trial the side car, but good to know.

cakebaby Thu 31-Oct-13 19:54:47

I've got the troll, its great. ds is 8 wks, hates swaddling, is too big for Moses basket, has wild flappy arms and hits his hand on the side of the troll crib waking himself up. Troll is long enough but not wide enough IMO, he'll be out of it by 4 months if not before I think. I'd carefully check the width of anything you are considering against the wingspan of your dd!

Clarella Sun 10-Nov-13 12:32:42

the ikea gulliver (full size) cot can be altered with a few extra drill holes to set the base at the right height to be a bedside cot (one side left off obviously! The wooden one was recently reduced to £30, usually 60 I think. so either for now or next size up if needed (my lo decided sleeping next to mummy is best!)

Eeeeh Tue 12-Nov-13 18:58:46

If you haven't already got one then there's one on eBay if you search for co-sleeper cot that I think will work for us for a good while - think it's wider than others I've seen and my 2 yr old even had a lie down on it the other day! (It was far too small for him but he tried!) it's the one with all the gaudy upholstery that you won't want or use!

TwirlyCat Tue 12-Nov-13 23:50:40

My 50th centile dd was in her troll cosleeper until 7 months. It was too small really in the 7th month.

When she started rolling she would roll out of it and squish herself up to me though, I didn't mind as I was set up safely but something to keep in mind if you don't want your dd in your bed. You could put the side up to prevent this, but if you do that you might as well get a cheaper cot next to your bed. The crib was great while it lasted!

CityDweller Thu 14-Nov-13 08:08:09

We moved our 25th centile DD out of the bednest at 5.5 months. She'd been looking squished in it for a bit before that. She was much happier in her cot by that stage and started sleeping better immediately (whether that was due to more space, being in her own room away from our nighttime noises, or just chance, who knows).

Cantthinkofafrigginname Sat 16-Nov-13 23:24:48

We side cared the ikea cot. Much cheaper and bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now