Arghhhh windmill arms...out of ideas, any advice or wisdom?

(8 Posts)
cakebaby Tue 29-Oct-13 21:47:43

DS is 8 weeks, has always HATED being swaddled. In the last couple of weeks his arms have become wild when he's dropping off and asleep. They are literally thrashing about like he's doing front crawl, hitting the cot bars and himself in the face, waking him up and leaving him with minor injuries!

Last night he managed about 15 mins sleep at a time before waking. He doesn't seem to be getting much 'rest' whilst asleep either.

I've tried swaddling with a light blanket or muslin (arms out in minutes), an ergo cocoon (SCREAMED blue murder for half an hr and far too tight at neck), a swaddle pod (arms out in 20 seconds), miracle blanket (legs out in minutes, hands out thereafter).

I'm now skint, exhausted and out of ideas. I'm reluctant to swaddle him at all, let alone tighter, he clearly hates it but does sleep much more soundly and longer.

Please, does anyone have any experience of this, any ideas or do I just have to ride it out?

SummerSevern Wed 30-Oct-13 17:05:14

I keep recommending these to people. They saved our sanity.
Sleepy Wings
You can get them on Amazon.

cakebaby Wed 30-Oct-13 19:07:19

summer you star! I'll try them, they look perfect, if pricey! Thank you so much flowers

RigglinJigglinBones Wed 30-Oct-13 19:40:15

Dd was the same, we used to lay her down and then hold our hands over her arms / hands so if she moved them they'd hit us and we could gently rest them back down. We had a chair by the cot for it, It calmed down after 20mins.

SummerSevern Wed 30-Oct-13 20:02:52

You're welcome. The company who makes them really needs to start paying me commission!

cakebaby Wed 30-Oct-13 20:46:51

rigglin I didn't realize the extent of it til I was watching him the other night during the storm. Even when he's finally got to sleep they're still going regularly, he looks so unsettled. In saying that he was a bit better last night, probably as he's exhausted from his nocturnal aerobics!

summer Totally agree re the commission! Are they tight or gently restricting? DS hates anything tight hence swaddling, miracle blanket & ergo cocoon costly and epic failures!

pastygirl2010 Wed 30-Oct-13 21:18:54

You could also look at Zipadee Zip and Merlin's Magic Sleep suit? Neither are cheap though sad hope you find a solution. I had a windmill arms baby who I swaddled for a long time, we transitioned him with the Zipadee Zip which worked well, but I did manage to find one on ebay for £5 which softened the blow!!

SummerSevern Wed 30-Oct-13 21:23:45

They're still movable. DD likes to lick the edges (she hasn't cottoned on to sucking yet.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now