5 week old, sleeps for 2 hours max...normal?

(9 Posts)
Kelly1814 Thu 24-Oct-13 17:20:08

Just t hat really. My lovely 5 weeker is on a 3 hour feed cycle...

On hour to feed and settle (sometimes longer)
Two hours sleep (very occasionally 2.5)

Is this normal? Am getting so befuddled by books/people who say she should be sleeping longer....

She is formula fed, was also 4 weeks premature and and measuring a month behind...so not sure if this is par for the course and I am expecting too much?

Had hoped she would be sleeping a little longer by now... smile

Clarella Thu 24-Oct-13 18:45:38

I'm afraid mine did - tbh if a lo is gaining weight ok and seems otherwise ok I assume anything in a baby is normal!

are you bf? she may be growth spurting.

Clarella Thu 24-Oct-13 18:46:47

doh sorry you said formula. I'm not entirely sure as I bf but if in doubt you could ask a Dr

Flibbedyjibbet Sat 26-Oct-13 21:55:21

5 weeks is still very young and I actually think a 3 hour schedule is really good at this stage.

Sorry, you probably wanted to hear the opposite.

ancientbuchanan Sat 26-Oct-13 21:58:05

She's premy so really 1 week? I'd think it normal, despite ff.

Ds was on a 2 hour cycle 40 mins feed, 40 mins sleep 40 mins awake for weeks, but was ebf.

changeforthebetter Sat 26-Oct-13 21:58:23

I remind DD of this (she is 6 blush). She was a gannet, but gained nicely, very healthy etc... Rough but worth it and she is getting loads of fab antibodies from you to ward off the autumn/winter bug season smile

ZuluWarrior Sat 26-Oct-13 21:59:11

Yup, normal. My 3 monther still isn't sleeping any longer than that! <helpful>

changeforthebetter Sat 26-Oct-13 22:00:16

Sorry!should read OPs properly blush Every 3 hours is fine (used to be parent support worker with mums whatever feeding method)

LadySnapcase Sat 26-Oct-13 22:02:32

DS is 10 weeks, FF, and has only recently started going longer than that himself...so think it's normal, some babies are just grazers. From about week 6/7 he started going longer overnight though, and can now do 5 hours though usually chooses not to...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now