ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Help me settle my nearly 1yo to bed

(8 Posts)
ALittleBitOfHalloweenMagic Wed 23-Oct-13 11:28:46

He just will not go to sleepconfusedconfused

I've started the habit of just taking him in to my bed and lying with him until he's asleep then lifting him into his cot . But I can't do this anymore it's not practical . I have an 8yo too and my dh works 12hr shifts so I'm really on my own .

mikeysmum27 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:30:47

I'm in the same position! Its so impractical isn't it? I think I just have to be brave and ride it out for as long as it takes. I don't think there's any other solution...My little boy is 16 months now and I cant believe I'm still doing this. I keep thinking 'I must just put you to bed and what will be will be', but by the end of the day I'm so tired its just the easy way out. I'll let you know how we get on.

ALittleBitOfHalloweenMagic Thu 24-Oct-13 10:09:10

Oh it's a nightmare ! He has his 12mo assessment next week so I think I will ask my HV for some advice she is lovely . I think I'm just going to have to persevere and put him in his cot and leave him to scream his head off sadsad he fights sleep at nap time too will only nap in his pram and no where else . How old is your other school ? smile

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Thu 24-Oct-13 11:34:12

Hi OP, god it's hard isn't it? We were in a similar position a couple of months ago- dd could only go to sleep with me in the room. What helped us greatly was a gradual retreat / pick up put down method. I basically did bedtime routine which is the same every night, put her down in the city and walked out. If she grumbled a bit I ignored her but if she properly cried- I went in immediately- I won't leave her to cry. I picked her up and just immediately put her down and walked out again without interacting. Repeat as necessary. I did have to repeat maybe 7 times on the first night but after a couple of nights, she settled easily. I wouldn't say she is a particularly good sleeper, but she will go to sleep on her own and without a fight.
I hope you find something that helps for you!

ALittleBitOfHalloweenMagic Thu 24-Oct-13 12:41:01

I think I will try that . It's why I started taking him in with me because he was just screaming until I was in the room and I won't leave him to cry either , so I was spending hours sitting by his cot , but I can have him sleeping quicker if I take him in beside me . But it's just not a good routine at all .sad

ALittleBitOfHalloweenMagic Sun 27-Oct-13 21:35:46

Ok so I tried to just pick him up the put him back down when he girned (is that even a real word?) and he's ended up in such a state I've had to lift him into my bed . He's still lying in my arms sobbing sadsad

I feel terrible and guilty . But I feel at the end of my tether as well I just really don't know what to do with him I was working 8-5 today and I have so much stuff to do but I'm so tired I'm lying here on the verge of tears sad

ALittleBitOfHalloweenMagic Sun 27-Oct-13 21:36:08

Wow didn't mean to sound so whiny and self pitying blush

Tillypops11 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:40:27

I really feel for you my baby girl has alway been very good at going to sleep then something not sure what changed and she just wouldn't settle alone I had to stand by the cot and shh and pat her to sleep! Do you have a bed time routine? We have bath time then read a story in her room with low light then bottle of milk with the light on but a light on outside the room but it's still very dark after bottle I put her in her cot it went on for weeks having to shh to sleep and she woke up loads during the night and ended up in my bed which you know means very little sleep for me! I decided I had to do something so let her cry I find every time I went in the room then left she for worse so didn't go back in the cry turned to a shout and then after 40 mins she went to sleep the next night I out her in her cot then within 5 mins she stopped shouting and went to sleep now she just goes to sleep alone I know yours is a different situation but if you could start by getting him to sleep in his room then in his cot while you are there and then eventually just walk out once you put him in his cot and see how you go? You may have to do this over a fees days/ weeks? Similar to gradually retreat? What ever you do I hope it works I know it's hard as even tho baby girl has generally gone to sleep ok she woke a lot in the night up to being about 18 months! Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now