Aaargh! Want to 'train' 7mo to nap on her own, but have noisy toddler

(13 Posts)
cakesonatrain Tue 22-Oct-13 11:06:02

I have two problems!
The first is that 7mo DD won't go to sleep unless in car/pram/sling or BF in quiet darkened room.
The second is that I also have 2.2yo DS who, good as he is, is just not compatible with any going-to-sleep method I know!
When DS was little we resorted to a kind of CC (left him with a lightshow/mobile for 10 mins at a time until asleep, took a few days until he stopped screaming the house down and just whinged to sleep) but I have tried that and it doesn't really work on DD.
I don't know any method of helping her to sleep on her own that don't involve me being with her until asleep, and I can't do that cos I'd have to leave DS on his own while I do!

What can I do? Please help us!

Suchanamateur Tue 22-Oct-13 12:54:17

How is your DS with TV? I'm afraid during periods of sleep hell/ training with DD, I made liberal and full use of cbeebies and peppa pig. At 2.2 he could manage 15/20 minutes without too much input. Felt pretty guilty about it at the time, but needs must...

cakesonatrain Tue 22-Oct-13 15:15:30

Well he will usually sit transfixed by the telly, but it's not totally reliable.

What methods did you use for your DD's sleep?

cakesonatrain Wed 23-Oct-13 11:03:40

Anyone?

Suchanamateur Wed 23-Oct-13 12:15:52

Um. Since my DD wouldn't sleep anywhere but silent darkened room, we did loud white noise an lots of bum patting, and lots of leaving DS in frot of the tele an hoping I wouldn't come back to find him or something else broken. We also did a bit I leaving her to cry at bedtime to settle and that did help nap settling as did dropping to 2 naps. DS did actually get bored of cbeebies at one point.

But I wouldn't look to me for much advice as DD still not a good sleeper, although to be fair settles for naps fine now (probably because she's exhausted from being awake hours at night).

cakesonatrain Wed 23-Oct-13 12:53:30

Thanks for replying.

I've been trying the leave to cry thing again. She pushes me away if I try to put my hand on her to comfort her, and me sitting there doesn't help either, so I went back to going downstairs and doing some stickers with DS (so at least one child was getting my proper attention!).
She screams and screams, then just manages to nod off for a few seconds then wakes up screaming again. I just don't think it will work with her.
I've ordered 'The no-cry nap solution' off Amazon so hopefully I'll find a method in there that will work. We all need her to sleep!

ScottishInSwitzerland Wed 23-Oct-13 22:02:18

Hmm I typed a big post but it seems to have been lost somewhere.

Gist of my post was why not just let her nap in buggy / pram.

I did it with my eldest from about a year old and youngest from day dot. Means they can go to sleep when you're out then you just park them in a room somewhere when you get home. If you need to go out you just wheel them with you.

I found it especially useful with second child when I had the demands of eldest re going out places

cakesonatrain Thu 24-Oct-13 13:00:03

The pram isn't always convenient, but I suppose it probably is the easiest thing for now - ten minutes of pushing her back and forth in the hall does usually do the trick.
But, that doesn't help do what I really want, which is for her to go to sleep on her own, in her bed. When she stops feeding to sleep at night (ds did this before he was 1) I'll be stuck if she needs the motion of the pram.

ScottishInSwitzerland Thu 24-Oct-13 19:08:30

I can't really remember when it happened (sorry !) but definitely before my dd was 2, you could just stick her in her buggy in the sitting room ( which was the room I put her buggy in at sleep times) and she went to sleep. Sometimes with 30 sec of yelling but usually straight away

So for us the motion of the pram wasn't a 'rod for our back' iykwim

And she was fine with having different ways/places of sleeping for naps and daytime sleeps.

But that was just what worked for us and I know everybody's different smile

cakesonatrain Thu 24-Oct-13 19:27:25

Thanks.

And today I'm reminded of another reason I need her to sleep - if she's tired at mealtimes she won't eat anything. I bloody hate weaning.

ScottishInSwitzerland Thu 24-Oct-13 21:15:02

Mine are 3.5 y and 20 months and I still sometimes hark back to what seem like the glory days when you just breasted on demand. Instead of trying to make a grumpy toddler eat a balanced diet.

ScottishInSwitzerland Thu 24-Oct-13 21:15:31

Breasted grin
You know what I mean!

cakesonatrain Thu 24-Oct-13 21:37:57

Hell yeah. DS has eaten about 5 bites of evening meals this week.
Am considering giving up making 'toddler friendly' meals as unless it's cheesy pasta or fish fingers he probably won't eat it anyway. DD has eaten more than him at some meals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now