7m and dropping afternoon nap...

(8 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:46:34

Basically it just doesn't seem to fit in our new 'routine'!!

She has switched to a longer morning nap than usual (75mins when it used to be 30) and has a decent lunchtime nap of around 1.5h.

Our day currently goes:

7am wake, bottle and thn breakfast
9ish, morning nap til around 10.15
12pm lunch
1pm nap til around 2.30
4.30pm supper
6.30pm bottle
7pm bed

I moved her supper from 5.30ish to 4.30 because she was having sooooo much wind at night that I thought the earlier time would help, plus Also create a longer gap before her evening bottle. And this routine is working!! She is sleeping from 7 til 7 with just one wake up for a feed, whereas prior to this she was waking 6 or 7 times a night... So obviously I don't want to mess with something that is working.

BUT... She is so painfully tired by 6.30 that bedtime is a dreadful rush and quite stressful, shovelling bottle down her, racing through a story etc, all the while she cries and fusses...

7pm bedtime does suit us well though as I need to work in the evenings... But she barely sees her dad this way sad and it is awful to see her so tired in the late pm.

She used to have a nap at around 4.15 but that doesn't work with the earlier supper.

I tried to get her to catnap in pushchair at around 5.15 today but she was too alert from supper time etc... Besides am not sure is wise to be having a nap that late? Might start to make her struggle to settle in the evening?

Should I just tough it out on assumption she might have dropped the pm nap in a couple of months anyway?

Feel as if I am imposing this on her cos of switch in eating times but it is working and I don't want to mess with a winning formula after so long deprived of sleep!!!

emeraldgirl1 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:02:12

I should say that by afternoon nap I mean a mid-late afternoon nap... I call the 1pm ish nap a lunchtime nap... smile

A baby has a natural drip in energy around 12:30-2:30 so this is usually a good time for them to have their main sleep.

If she is not sleeping much in the afternoon I would cut her morning sleep to just 20 minutes.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:12:39

Neversleepagain, thank you for post!! Would you try to make time for a late pm nap, then, and hope that cutting down a morning nap makes her more ready for extra time to sleep around 5ish?

I personally wouldn't put her down that late. Try putting her down at around 9:30 and wake her at 10am. Lunch around 12pm then her main nap 12:30-2:30.

Not sure if I answered your question though!

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 17-Oct-13 22:18:43

Agree with waking early from nap then early lunch and longer lunchtime nap.

I put mine down at 6pm and they sleep right through until 7:30am. You could try moving her bedtime earlier to 6:30pm.

omama Thu 17-Oct-13 23:25:55

Agree with neversleep. She's omly 7 months old, dont mess with her morning nap at the mo. Most babies drop the late afternoon nap between 6-9 months but as you are finding, they can be very tired as a result. An early bedtime is prob the best way to go. I know you say this means she wont see dh but remember this is just a short stage in her life, in a month or so she'll cope much better without that nap & you can grafually extend bedtimeback to 7pm again. Hth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now