Moses basket v carrycot vs cot vs cardboard box?

(13 Posts)
puggle01 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:22:44

Hi all. MN very reassuring that all you need with a new baby is a place for them to sleep, car seat to get them home and a fair few babygros. Total novice at this and ain't got a clue though have a trimester to go yet. Looking for practical advice for what to put the baby into to sleep...
I HATE the look of Moses baskets- just can't bear the frilly tweeness -sorry to all who love them. I hear babies grow out of them in a few weeks anyway though I may have selective deafness when anyone says they did use them for a while

Vaguely looking at travel system pram/puchchairs so am wondering about getting an overnight sleep suitable one with proper mattress

Will have to get a "real" cot for the baby's room though don't know if its practical to imagine they'll be in anything other than our room for first few weeks

I'm a very heavy sleeper -have slept through fire alarms in the past(though after several shandies and that won;t be happening for a while) so too scared to co-sleep in case I'm like a mummy pig that squashes its piglets(piglet)

I LOVED the Scandi baby box given out to new parents in Finland where the box made a baby bed.(was on BBC news a while back) Sadly I'm not from Finland and they won't sell them as its a benefit thing

Would a travel cot work in the short-term in our room?

What did you sensible real-life people do? I'm worried I may be over thinking this but don't want to be someone with a branch of mothercare in the their baby's room cos they bought EVERYTHING before their baby came

RandomMess Thu 19-Sep-13 21:26:52

A travel cot with a bassinett bit for young babies is a good idea - you don't want to bending all the way down to pick them up from the bottom of the main travel cot all the time.

How about a 2nd crib? A friend had a folding sling crib thing and that was fab - will see if I can find one on line to link to.

RandomMess Thu 19-Sep-13 21:28:47

Cot in our room upstairs for night time sleeping, which he was in from day one so he never had to get used to sleeping anywhere else. Napped in carry cot in pram downstairs during the day. Not only do you get as much use as possible out of a very expensive bit of kit (i.e. the pram), you can easily move DC with you from room to room while they're napping if you need to and you can rock them to sleep in it if needs be. I've never seen the point of Moses baskets. I think they're a rort.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 19-Sep-13 21:38:47

You can go straight to a cot - we've only got a Moses basket because my mum found a cheap second hand on on eBay! (Note - we've replaced the mattress!). I'm not keen on the drill ones either but some are less twee than others.

We've got the Uppababy Vista which has a bassinet which is suitable for overnight sleeping. We intend to use this downstairs during the day.

If you plan to breast feed, sidecar cribs are popular as they butt right up against the bed, but baby has their own space so you can't squash them.

We're expecting to be into cotbed (in our room) by 6 weeks, but I think this will be a 9lb+ baby smile

puggle01 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:40:32

Thanks Random & Elphaba Hadn't thought of a crib thingy, nor of the issue of getting them used to their bed from the outset. Definitely more food for thought...

puggle01 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:43:08

Thanks also Anything - sidecar crib seems appealing for no squashed piglet but also minimal getting up in the night traipsing about if the whole BF thing works out. Like the way the options keep coming smile

MeteorShower Thu 19-Sep-13 21:44:20
Clargo55 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:46:57

SIDS advice recommends baby takes all naps in the same room as someone for the first six months. SIDS rates are higher in babies who sleep alone.
The reason for this is still unknown. A few theories are that your breathing helps the baby regulate their own and that the higher levels of carbon monoxide (breathed out by you) prompt the nervous system of the baby into breathing.

Sorry if you know all this. I also second the advice of a crib. Smaller than a cot/cotbed but should last till the 6 month mark.

RandomMess Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:40

Mine went in their cots in their own room because I couldn't sleep with them in my room - too noisy!!!!

Although we do have a tiny house and I'm a rubbish light sleeper so the first whimpering would have me wide awake.

Zara1984 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:41

Go straight to a cot if it fits in your bedroom?

mikkii Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:42

For DS and DD1 we used the carry cot and would carry it up and down stairs.

With DD2 I went back to work very early so we did buy a Moses basket for downstairs. We managed to keep her in it for about 6 months (she was early and diddy) she stayed in our room in the carrycot until 7 months when we put her in her cot.

puggle01 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:55:38

ooooh cardboard cradle! Thanks meteorshower Useful SIDS advice too Clargo
Still have to move house so I think cot will fit in our room but DH is a light sleeper and might not enjoy snorey snuffly baby....Well he'll need to learn wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now