I can't do it anymore

(10 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 05-Sep-13 15:46:25

I just need to let this out

DD (2nd DC, DS is 2.5) is 7mo. Ebf, doing traditional spoon-led weaning with some finger food thrown in. Eating 3 protein-rich meals a day.

Used to be fine at sleeping. But as of 6mo is AWFUL. Settles fine but has started waking every 2-4 hrs for a feed.

Had her weighed and she's jumped up a centile (now on 50th) and HV thinks having large growth spurt. But it's been almost 6 long fucking weeks now and I can't do it anymore.

When she wakes I feed her and she goes straight back off. She can self-settle fine. She won't be placated with no feed - she's hungry.

I've tried giving bottle of breast milk in day, didn't help. Tried bottle of bm at bed. Didn't help.
I don't really want to give formula - I know she can sleep well just ebf. But I can't keep doing this anymore. I'm at the end of my coping. So tired, feel like a snappy shit mum. And I'm not up for DH giving bottle in night - I still wake up, can't bear listening to her cry while he faffs gets bottle warmed up so end up just bfeeding her.

She's not teething - DS got teeth v late and she shows no signs.

This is fucking killing me.

I know others have it worse, sorry

Goandplay Thu 05-Sep-13 16:12:17

I'm up with my twins nearly 7 months old. They were once sometime not at all up through the night now twice each - just wanted to say I feel your pain.

I'm bored of hearing myself complaining about lack of sleep. I want to sleep at night!

IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 05-Sep-13 16:20:29

Just to add to our woes - people don't seem to think you have shit nights at 7 months either

Andcake Thu 05-Sep-13 20:30:19

Sympathies my ds was bearable until 6 months and then became a hellish sleeper. No real advice - we ended up co-sleeping so I to more rest. DP and I were a state- he was up every hour then forgot to self settle!

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 06-Sep-13 07:13:13

I thought the exact same about co-sleeping against night as it was so bad. Up every 2 hrs from 10pm. I think I got more sleep than this when she was 2 weeks old.
I am a broken woman

NothingsLeft Fri 06-Sep-13 11:44:01

I would go back to co-sleeping for a bit if it gets you more sleep. I wish I had done this when DS's sleep went to pot at this age. Instead I repeatedly got up and exhausted myself. i ended up with pnd after months of sleep dep. Never again.

plummyjam Fri 06-Sep-13 11:59:56

I am in the same boat. DD is nearly 7 months, EBF and has slept through once (9.30 to 5.30) in that whole time. Otherwise has never managed to go the night with less than 2 feeds. For the past week she's been teething her top teeth, has just started to crawl and has been comfort feeding - waking twice before midnight (doesn't go to sleep until 8.30) then feeding about hourly after that until getting up at about 6.30.

We've always co-slept and I've actually managed fine tiredness-wise until the last week but now I'm knackered. I don't know how I'd cope if I had 2 kids to deal with.

I know a lot of people say they don't need feeding at night after 6 months but I'm not convinced, especially when it's warm weather, they're having a growth spurt or they need comfort so like you I'm just soldiering on.

I'm still hopeful though as I've heard lots of people say that their babies sleep sorted itself out at about 9 months or so (fingers crossed!). Even 2 night wakings would be brilliant compared to DDs usual form...

As well as co-sleeping my only other suggestion would be to get a really decent coffee machine. We've bought a nespresso and it's awesome! I'm fuelled on pure caffeine most of the day, probably not good in the long-run but until she starts sleeping through it's a godsend (seriously).

Goandplay Tue 24-Sep-13 01:47:51

I spent the night before last up lots after the first feed soothing and giving water rather than milk. Last night they woke once each and slept till 7.

I'm hoping I've turned a corner but I've decided after 1 bottle if milk beaker of water only.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 24-Sep-13 10:10:06

hopping on this thread, sorry!! Just posted about my 6.5m DD who is waking every two hours or less from midnight onwards

Not sure I can help with solutions, just here to vent and sympathise

I am a total mess, it is having a terrible impact, not just the tiredness but I feel totally defeated. Everyone else I know has a baby who sleeps by now at this age sad

I am finding it harder and harder not to be irritable with her when she wakes and that makes me feel awful and scared.

Is it a phase at this age??
In DD's case it isn't hunger (entirely), she is ff and starting to do well on solids, I know this can wake them more? when she wakes i feed her at first, she drains a bottle, but then wakes again and again and when I give up and try to feed her again she only has half a feed so it isn't because she is starving.

anyone tried (and had success with) wake to sleep?

Sorry to hear others are suffering but weirdly glad am not alone

emeraldgirl1 Tue 24-Sep-13 10:13:31

Joseph - interesting what you say about co sleeping!!! I was adamant that co sleeping was THE WORST thing you could ever do, people were mad for doing it etc etc... now I haul DD out of her cot at 3am and get into bed with her just in hope of saving my sanity. don't want to be doing it (though the cuddle is nice as i am so miserable at the mo) but feels like the only solution.

nothingsleft - am a bit concerned about sliding towards depression myself...

basically DD has never never once slept through and I feel like a bit of a failure. Sleep expert books make me feel as though I am doing everthing worng even though I know I am doing some things right (bedtime routine, trying to get first nap of day right - though failing - etc...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now