Am I being really lazy by sleeping in the day?

(40 Posts)
HappyGoLuckyGirl Thu 05-Sep-13 12:18:21

I have a 10 week old DS. He's amazing and a very good baby sleep wise. For example, the past few nights he's gone down between 8-8.30pm and slept until 2.30ish.

At this point I'm not feeding him at all through the night (bottle fed) as he doesn't cry when he wakes, just whinges and I can shush and rock him back to sleep. He gets unsettled every half an hour or so until about 5am when I will feed him.

He then goes back down until about 9am. So all in all, a very good sleeper.

Thing is I like to nap when he does during the day, mostly around lunchtime. I have a SIL who I love but is mother bloody earth and she always makes me feel bad for sleeping through the day. Not on purpose as she isn't nasty but just because she says she never went back to sleep during the day, went out for walks every day etc.

So, am I being really lazy or is sleeping through the day okay, even if you have a good sleeper?

Apologies for how long that was!

milkyjo Sat 07-Sep-13 23:35:45

I used to have the odd nap on my days off before I had children! Get sleep where you can I say. Now with 2 DCs I can never get the baby to nap at the same time as the toddler!

HappyGoLuckyGirl Fri 06-Sep-13 22:52:00

Thank you for all your kind advice smile

I was all geared up and ready to feed.him last night but he slept through and woke up at 5am. I think he's playing tricks on me grin

On another note, his lovely long naps have turned into 30-45min dozes. envy

sharond101 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:32:36

He may have slept through before without milk but at 10 weeks he isn't big enough to be able to have developed a definite feeding or sleeping routine so its' really not enough to say he's done it before so he doesn't need milk. If he's restless for so long then he is trying to tell you something is upsetting him. He may even be having a growth spurt. Play it be ear, you have plenty of time to teach him to sleep.

valiumredhead Fri 06-Sep-13 11:16:13

Last not lady-bloody phone!

valiumredhead Fri 06-Sep-13 11:15:40

Just wanted to add something about the sleeping through-night before last I slept through, had a great night's sleep. Lady night I woke up at 2am and was up for hours for no reason at all and feel like shit today! I can sleep through, but sometimes I don't, same as babiesgrin

NothingsLeft Fri 06-Sep-13 11:09:33

Totally agree with valium. The change all the time. DS woke once from 5-7 months for a feed, then started waking more because he was hungry from moving more I guess.

I still have an occasional lunchtime snooze and DS is 17 months smile

valiumredhead Fri 06-Sep-13 08:37:36

I always slept, ds is 12 and at the weekends I can still quite happily put my feet up on the afternoonsgrin

Wrt night time feeding- offer milk and if he refuses that'd fine but I bet he won't, he's waking because he needs feeding. Babies change their pattern constantly, first rule of thumb is ALWAYS offer food and cuddle. When he's over one and on solids then it's the time to stop offering milk at night because you know they've had plenty in the day smile

Oblomov Fri 06-Sep-13 07:59:58

Agreed, you sil is a twit.
Mine are 9 and 5 and I still like a good siesta, whenever I can get one !!

dimsum123 Fri 06-Sep-13 07:04:50

OMG! Mine are 10 and 7 and sleep through the night. I still have an afternoon nap sometimes!

Sleep is a biological necessity for a healthy mind and body. If your body tells you you need to sleep, then sleep. Your body has been through a lot, of course you need to sleep.

mykingdomforasleep Fri 06-Sep-13 06:54:50

I would feed in the night. They will keep changing their patterns. Mine slept through at 8 weeks then had a few weeks of waking up and needing feeds, now sleeping longer again. I definitely recommend feeding and also lowering your expectations as when they start getting more distracted during day/teethe or have a growth spurt etc likely to a) not sleep through and b) need more milk at night.

Patilla Fri 06-Sep-13 06:51:36

OP I'd definitely agree with those saying he sounds hungry.

Ten weeks is not the age to worry about too many milk feeds in the night if the first one is at 2.30am.

Incidentally, DD is being seen by a paediatrician for her reflux and at the baby age they count "sleeping through" as doing a five hour stretch rather than what we perceive as a whole night's sleep!

Lots of people find it helpful to do a calm feed when they go to bed around 10/11 and that they can then get a block of sleep after that, you might wish to try that if you would rather avoid a feed at 2.30. It might work but it equally might not.

But please don't listen to any more "helpful" suggestions from SIL and if it gets bad I'd suggest either blanking the comment or retorts along the lines of "isn't it a shame your DC missed out on a feed then, milk is so good for them" or "I suppose my DS is just a very alert baby interested in the world" and then don't let her know that you nap through the daytime.

It's not a badge of honour staying awake it's about looking after yourself and keeping yourself as well as possible for you and your baby. And you are in the majority if you nap during the day and most of the rest who don't nap want to but have another child who will make oragami out of importtant documents if left unattended.

Bunbaker Fri 06-Sep-13 06:48:29

"by 3 months babies can and should be sleeping the whole night without any feeds."

That is utter tripe.

It sounds like your baby is having a growth spurt, so the the night feed will help settle him. And congratulations BTW.

FadBook Fri 06-Sep-13 05:28:49

Like lavender says, they begin what you think it a pattern or start of a routine and then they change grin

Definitely don't rule out night feeding. Growth spurts will come and go over the next 12 months!

As for sleep - you'll miss it when they only nap for 20 min! I always slept when baby slept. It's a rule I followed with no guilt. No one can maintain their day to day life and looking after a baby on continuous broken nights sleep.

As for SIL having a baby that sleeps through a 6 weeks - woop fuckin doop. Wait till she has her next one, that fall from her high horse will hurt like a bitch grin

All babies are different. They don't come with a manual unfortunately. Sound like you're doing great - don't let SIL put you down. Smile and nod.

HitTheNorth Fri 06-Sep-13 04:27:18

Glad to hear you're going to try him with some milk when he wakes, you have to follow tha baby's cues really, especially when he's so young. Your sil is mad though, get as much sleep as you can, whenever you can!

Lavenderhoney Fri 06-Sep-13 04:11:47

He might be having a growth spurt so he might be needing a bit extra and not be able to manage to go without milk as he needs it. Just when you think you have the hang of it, everything changes- that's how I used to feelsmile

I hope he sleeps ok and you get your sleep.

HappyGoLuckyGirl Fri 06-Sep-13 00:26:02

So the consensus is that sleeping through the day is definitely not a bad thing. Woo, more sleep for me then grin

Re. the feeding at night, the reason I haven't given him a bottle when he started waking at 2.30 was because he had already done about 10 days straight of sleeping through, from about 9pm til 5/6am, so I know he is fine to go that long without a bottle.

I'm unsure as to why he started waking again (last night was the third night but he slept til 4am) and didn't want to get him used to a bottle again if he wasn't really hungry.

I have decided to feed him tonight if he wakes and see if takes it all or just comfort feeds back to sleep. smile

sharond101 Thu 05-Sep-13 22:35:53

Sounds like he needs fed at 2.30am, he is only 10weeks and if he is unsettled until 5am surely you are just leaving him hungry?

BrianTheMole Thu 05-Sep-13 20:35:04

Hell, sometime my nearly 4 yr old has a nap in the day. I'm straight in to bed when that happens.

mrsharrystyles Thu 05-Sep-13 20:31:55

I like a nice little sleep during the day if I can. My youngest is 19............ Years!!

Yorkieaddict Thu 05-Sep-13 20:28:05

No you are not being lazy. I used to nap in the day before having DS. I still do when I get chance, although that is not often these days. When you have a tiny baby I would say its the only way to survive with your sanity intact!

gintastic Thu 05-Sep-13 20:25:39

3 months old can and should be sleeping through? My 9mo missed that memo, I nap if I get a chance :-) sadly back to work next week and I don't think sleeping at my desk is going to cut it!

Sleep when you can!

Bunbaker Thu 05-Sep-13 20:23:31

Of course you aren't being lazy by catching up with your sleep. I am concerned, however, that you don't feed him in the night when he wakes. He is only 10 weeks old and far too little to go several hours without a feed, regardless of how he is fed. I would just give him a bottle and he might settle more readily.

upanddown83 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:17:37

I have 14 week old ds and love to nap with him we do it often
I just don't tell too many people as I often got comments like you have from your sil so I just stopped telling certin people everything we did especially my ds's eating and sleeping habits saves me listening to their 'advice'!
Enjoy nap time!

bohoec Thu 05-Sep-13 20:14:22

Good grief... You GAVE BIRTH 10 weeks ago. Sleep as much and for as long as you like while you can (I'm back at work now - if it wasn't frowned upon to sleep at your desk I would!)

IShallCallYouSquishy Thu 05-Sep-13 20:11:23

I had a lovely snooze on the sofa while my 15 month old napped this afternoon.

10 weeks old? Christ I still spent whole mornings/afternoons in bed sleeping on and off while she did!

Lazy? No chance. Very sensible? Most definitely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now