Getting the bugger to go to sleep and stay asleep

(12 Posts)
silverangel Wed 04-Sep-13 12:51:37

He must be overtired?

Can you try and get a strict daytime nap going - walk him round and round in the pram if needs be for a while. What do you do when he does wake. I am by no means an expert but from my experience with DTs consistency is key.

I feel for you, I would have lost it already with that many wakings.

NeedlesCuties Wed 04-Sep-13 06:24:23

How is his mood during the day? Is he tired, or grumpy?

If I were you I'd speak to your GP, or HV for advice, maybe there's a reason he's waking so much.

mewkins Tue 03-Sep-13 21:45:24

No one can function with 30 n I ght wakings -you or him. Yes, controlled crying (go in, don't pick up, reassure and leave) I think should work within a few days. Good luck

Sheshelob Tue 03-Sep-13 21:40:10

A couple of years ago, i would never have imagined i would write what i am about to write. I was firmly against leaving my son to cry, but once he was older and could understand me, and after months of illness-related sleep regression, I gave it a try. I think he was about 18 months old, leaving him to call for me or moan. If he started to really cry, I'd go in and comfort him, resettle him and leave again. It worked. At 22 months, he now says "Bye bye mummy" and rolls over before I leave the room.

It isn't an easy step to take psychologically if you have been dead set against letting him cry/call out. But I guess you need to weigh up whether a few days of heartache for you is fair exchange for better sleep for everyone, your baby boy included. It has certainly made our lives a lot easier.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

My eldest (now 4) has to have a sterile sleep environment - no other people, no light (very dim night light okay) no noise, one comforter only... basically any stimulation at all and she can't sleep/takes 2/3hrs to settle and sleep.

I know it seems harsh to just leave them and see what happens, but a big part of adult insomnia is distracting sleep environment and I firmly believe some children and babies are the same, if that's his issue then all the popping in and out will be making things worse.

mrsbeano Tue 03-Sep-13 21:10:37

In this situation I'd send dh & dc1 to a hotel, ensure all needs are met and leave to CIO. 18 months is a prime regression time but for everyone he needs to sleep.

He won't remember in the morning and it's better now than at 3 x

CatAmongThePigeons Tue 03-Sep-13 20:03:18

We have also tried co-sleeping, but he will not sleep at all in my bed.

He has one nap a day, between mid/late morning and early afternoon, normally when we're out.

CatAmongThePigeons Tue 03-Sep-13 20:01:31

I wish I could afford a sleep consultant, but that's money we don't have atm. sad

Our routine is milk, bath/teeth, pj's/story/bed.

Tried staying in the room, he will stand up and scream until I lie him down, then he stands again etc... so we're now staying in his room til he's calm and dozy, then nipping out for a minute, but still, he screams.

Have tried PU/PD and have tried what is in No cry sleep solution.

Couldn't do CC/CIO as it upsets us all, especially DS1, and he needs his sleep for school.

Sheshelob Tue 03-Sep-13 19:54:32

Yikes. I really feel for you.

What is your routine? What else have you tried?

Artijoke Tue 03-Sep-13 19:49:52

I cant agibe how you cope. sounds horrendous.

Hire a sleep consultant. Best money I ever spent. Mine retired but this one was recommended by friends: www.andreagrace.co.uk/

melliebobs Tue 03-Sep-13 19:46:36

When u find the answer please tell me!!!!! Dd (18 months) has taken to screaming blue murder at night time and in the past 10 days me n DH have averaged about 3hrs sleep a night. And we both work full time.

CatAmongThePigeons Tue 03-Sep-13 19:39:14

DS2 is 19 months old and has always been a horrific sleeper, it's now taking him on average 1.5hours to go to sleep, with up to 30 night wakings until he is ready to go at 0430.

I cannot cope with this much longer before I lose it.

He's currently screaming mama in his cot, it's been an hour already and although tired, he will not go to sleep.

How to I get him to go to sleep and stay asleep please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now