3y.o. hates sleeping alone-let him cry it out or what?

(2 Posts)
yummyburger Sun 01-Sep-13 10:47:39

Our ds has just turned 3. He used to be fairly easy to put to sleep although he did sometimes ask to have his hand held whilst he fell asleep but I could fob him off by suggesting he holds the hands of one of his toys.

However, a couple of weeks ago he had a vomiting bug and due to sick being all over his bed he slept in my bed for a few days (dh was away on business at the time, but he is back now). Now I am having trouble getting him back to his own bed and staying there!

I can get him to sleep in his own bed on his own, if I hold his hand whilst he falls asleep or lie in his bed with him until he falls asleep, but its been taking about 1-2 hours of bed time stories and coaxing to get him to go to sleep. Then he invariably wakes up in the night and then I end up getting into his bed - I have tried saying no at nighttime but then he starts crying and screaming loudly. Admittedly I've not tried very hard during the night to say no (I've been too tired and so given in too easily).

However, we did try last night quite hard to put him to sleep on his own at his usual bedtime without the usual coaxing / hand holding and we got tears and screaming. And he often then gets out of his bed and opens the door to come and find us.

do we let him cry it out and get very distressed, or try a more gradual approach? dh and I are wanting our sleep / lives back!

please help!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 02-Sep-13 23:02:27

Have you tried the no cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschoolers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now