how to get a 2 year old into their own bed

(9 Posts)
jellybaby87 Thu 29-Aug-13 09:45:22

Has anyone got any tips on getting a 2 year old in their own bed? We hav tried controlled crying but i find it too heart breaking and end up giving in! Is their any other way?? Thanks x

flatmum Thu 29-Aug-13 09:51:03

wait til they're three is my advice.

do you mean from cot to bed or Dom your bed to their bed.

2 year olds are happiest in cosy cots ime - my ds3 is 3 in November and Im in no hurry to move him as he is happy there and sleeps well, even though his elder brothers were moved into beds at about 2 and a half, as babies were coming up behind them. I can't see any rush to move him now, (especially as his older brother is still in the toddler bed and it will involve moving 2 beds and 1 cot between 3 rooms on 2 separate floors with narrow corridors and I really can't be arsed at the moment)

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 29-Aug-13 09:51:17

Don't give in! The crying will only be for a few nights, if you're consistent.

Alternatively, have you tried bribery/rewards?

I used to say that I was just popping back downstairs to tidy the kitchen (or some other errand), and I'd be back in 10 minutes. I always went back, and nine times out of ten DD would be asleep by the time I did.

flatmum Thu 29-Aug-13 09:52:16

from not Dom!

jellybaby87 Thu 29-Aug-13 09:58:03

I mean from our bed to his, i took the sides off his cot thinkin maybe he felt a bit a trapped, plus he was climbing over and i was worried he would fall and hurt himself! He screams thats much hes nearly makin himself sick and hes managed to kick the stair gate down shouting mummy and daddys bed! The thing is me and my partner would like evenings together but we cant because little one falls asleep downstairs with us until we take him to our bed!!

CoteDAzur Thu 29-Aug-13 10:04:04

You will have to explain to him that he is now a big boy and big boys sleep in their own beds. And here's teddy to keep him company.

Controlled crying is something you do when they can't talk & understand what you are saying. If she can shout "mummy and daddy's bed!" then he is past the age of CC.

Some crying is perhaps unavoidable, though. Maybe work on why you find it heartbreaking when you know he is fine and doesn't think he is abandoned or anything. Go in and say "We love you but it's time to sleep now" and just don't take him back into your bed.

jellybaby87 Thu 29-Aug-13 12:15:34

I just dont like leaving him to cry sad he gets too upset! Someone told me he was too old for CC but my health visitor says thats our only option.

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 30-Aug-13 18:37:12

You really have to be durn. He won't hate you because you left him cry for a while - he won't even remember.
Just remember he's doing it for attention, not because he's upset.
Start a srtict bedtime routine immediately, and don't waver from it for at least a couple of weeks.
6-6.30pm bath.
Straight from there into pyjamas and bed, in own bed.
Story.
Cuddle.
Lights out.

Don't take no for an answer. Big boys sleep in their own beds and night time downstairs is for adults, not children.
If he gets out of bed, put him back, but no more cuddles.

The longer you leave it without a routine, the harder it will be to get a regular bed time.

LousThighBurn Fri 30-Aug-13 18:51:47

I cannot agree with PP on him doing it because he wants attention, rather than him being upset.He has been used to spending time with you and now you want to change that, of course he will be upset. That being said, you are not doing a bad thing here.
Could you let him choose a bedtime bear that will keep him safe and look after him as he sleeps? This is the approach we are taking with our son of the same age, he has moved from our bed to his own and the next step is to move his bed into his room once it is decorated. Another idea, could you do a sticker chart over the weeks so the first few nights read a story to him in his bed and then come away, slowly building to him staying in his bed whilst you do washing up etc and eventually him sleeping by himself. HTH he might just need a little more time. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now