8 week old not sleeping much at night

(11 Posts)
sameoldIggi Mon 26-Aug-13 11:17:01

It is very hard, and it will get easier. I found with ds2, I didn't pressure myself regarding sleeping through the night ( do not listen too much to those with the tales of their babies sleeping through - I'm not doubting them, I just don't think that's the norm!)
Best thing you can do for your baby is be there when they need you, with the proviso that you need to look after yourself too. I would try one rest during the daytime, even if you can't sleep avoid rushing round, just lie in sofa with a book. It is hard to drift off quickly at night but you get better at it, and again if you're lying down it is still restful I think.
Try to remember if you're giving your baby what they need, then you are doing a fantastic job. Getting them to sleep through is not the marker of success, not with a tiny baby!

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Mon 26-Aug-13 08:29:54

Yeah that's the tricky thing! The whole 'you sleep when they sleep' thing is easier said than done! I find it really hard to drop off as soon as she does, and then by the time I do she's waking up again!

btheb Mon 26-Aug-13 07:45:48

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to know what is normal. I am starting to find sleeping a bit difficult myself as i know i have so little time for it and really need to sleep immediately she does. Not easy!

sameoldIggi Sun 25-Aug-13 22:53:26

Yep, perfectly normal. How is your sleep, are you finding it hard going?

melliebobs Sun 25-Aug-13 22:53:16

3hrs is fantasticgrin all completely normal and wished dd was doing that kind if stint at 8 weeks. Day or night !!!

PoopMaster Sun 25-Aug-13 22:49:24

Yeah my 8 wo DD2 is the same at the moment, think DD1 was similar...just a normal pile of poo aspect of this phase, which does improve eventually! wink

gallicgirl Sun 25-Aug-13 22:46:36

I wouldn't expect any decent sleep at night until 4-5 months.

PoppyWearer Sun 25-Aug-13 22:40:43

Sounds normal. Sorry!

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Sun 25-Aug-13 22:39:22

Have you tried swaddling? My DD is 9 weeks old with a similar pattern to yours (so as far as I know it's normal BTW). We've been swaddling her for the past few nights and it seems to be making a difference!

hettienne Sun 25-Aug-13 22:38:36

Sounds normal for that age.

Things you can try - feeding at least every couple of hours in the day. Keep day times (including naps) light, with noise going on around you and then keep night times dark and quiet, with as little talking or changing as possible.

btheb Sun 25-Aug-13 22:34:18

My 8 week old sleeps at night for three hours, feeds and then does another couple of hours. Is this as much as i should expect at this stage? Any hints on how to improve this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now