Gradual retreat question please.....

(6 Posts)
sharond101 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:33:46

Sounds like it's making a difference then 6.45am was great. Well done for persisting it's really tough.

SwivelHips Fri 23-Aug-13 08:24:42

Yeah that's a good point, we were at our wits end with lack of sleep and things are much better now. Have to say DS has been brilliant, and have taken your advice, if he does wake we'll just bring him in with us. Last night he slept through until 6:45am so there was no need. DH never slept a wink though listening to baby monitor. I was zonked out like a good un.

sharond101 Wed 21-Aug-13 22:14:44

I think it's worth remembering if it's so bad you considered sleep training then it can't get much worse. As if by telepathy to prove me wrong DS was up at 4.30am this morning and no settling would have him back to sleep, not even in bad with me. I gave in at 6am and gave him some weetabix then we both went back to our own beds at 7am for a nap. Some nights just don't work out that's all. I am hoping for a smooth one tonight though.

SwivelHips Wed 21-Aug-13 21:27:39

Wow, that seems to be going great for you. Last night much the same, he slept through til 3am (another record) but DH couldn't get him to settle in cot so they both slept on sofa. DS didn't fall back asleep though until 530am so DH is shattered today. Fingers crossed tonight is better. Oh i hope he's like your ds and he starts to sleep through...feel like I'm in no mans land at the minute...yes we're getting more sleep but no idea what will happen at that first wake up. Thanks for replying smile

sharond101 Tue 20-Aug-13 22:26:10

We did gradual retreat and I struggled to persist with it when DS woke in the night or early in the morning. I began by taking in with me as at least I was resting. After 8 days of gradual retreat he stopped waking in the night so no issue there. Early mornings I try and resettle by placing back in the sleep position (for Ds this is top to tail with shawl and soother). I can usually tell by his reaction to this if there is a chance of him drifting back off to sleep or not. If not then I give some toys in cot before he gets upset and we both get up. This has lengthened the mornings to him now waking around 7.15am.

SwivelHips Tue 20-Aug-13 13:20:04

On night 4, its going okay but I kind of failed last night. He'd slept right through until 5am then I heard him cry, I went to get him only i kicked over glass of water over housecoat, pjs etc so because I was nude I brought him back into bed with me. shit. But on reflection there is no way he would have went back to sleep in his cot at that time, I also knew I could get him back to sleep if I put him on our chest (which he did). So what should I have done? Got him up for the day at 5am? I kept thinking no way could he last until lunchtime nap if he's up at 5. Sorry its a bit long winded....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now