21 month old waking at 5.30am

(12 Posts)
Acceptableinthe70s Mon 19-Aug-13 06:14:46

No matter what time I put her down to sleep - usually between 7pm-7.30pm, and no matter how long she naps for - usually 2 to 2.5 hours.

Shall I try limiting her naps more?

I have no prob with a 6am wake up, but 5.30am is just too early IMO, esp when it becomes winter. We're also expecting dc2 any day so worried about not sleeping at night, or in the day!

Any advice on getting toddler to sleep til 6am? Shall I just leave her in her cot for 30 mins? Too young for a gro clock I think, but worth a try?

mamamidwife Mon 19-Aug-13 06:47:48

I have a 20 month old, I have cut her nap back to 1 hr- 1 1/2hr for the same reason. I had to do the same for my son too. By the time he was 2 I had cut his sleep down to 4o mins

LadyCurd Mon 19-Aug-13 06:50:20

Same boat so watching thread with interest. We are limiting naps to an hour and trying to wear her out during day. Her room is blacked out but stairwell is light (Velux) so it maybe that waking her up. When I muster energy may try stir to sleep technique where you get them to stir at 5am and it hopefully then triggers another sleep cycle. Did it successfully once and she slept til 6 but another time just me going in woke her up so up from 5am

We have similar. Bought a gro-clock (glocock?) But he doesn't really understand it. If we let him in with us we can usually snooze for another hour or so.

Acceptableinthe70s Mon 19-Aug-13 07:11:42

When I limit naps which I've tried in the past, she still wakes at 5.30pm but cries hysterically and rubs her eyes until 7pm when I put her down to bed. I feel at a complete loss.

Acceptableinthe70s Mon 19-Aug-13 07:12:27

I also bring her in with her and she refuses to go back to sleep.

Purlesque Wed 21-Aug-13 05:05:20

Do you still breastfeed in the morning/day?

Haddock73 Wed 21-Aug-13 06:58:57

No stopped bf at 8 months, she has a bottle of cows milk though.

Haddock73 Wed 21-Aug-13 06:59:29

She woke at 6am today though, randomly.

omama Fri 23-Aug-13 15:18:58

OP what time does she usually take her nap? IME early waking often linked to the daytime nap starting too early. So if she naps at say 11ish for 2-2.5hrs, this is likely to be the problem. In which case I'd slowly push the nap later by 15mins per week & an improvement in her wakeup time will follow. At her age a nap starting around 1pm is about right.

Haddock73 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:36:08

She naps around 12.30-2.30pm...she's still waking at 5.30am. Am 40+5 and shattered as it is.

omama Sat 24-Aug-13 18:00:39

Oh bless you I bet you are. I would def try a slightly later nap (approx. 1pm) & see if it helps. I do remember at this age having a rough time with early wakeups & late bedtimes too, it seemed to be partly needing that later nap & partly a developmental thing (settled around 22 months but we did have to accept that with a 1pm nap came an 8pm bedtime).
You'll soon have that babe in your arms & it'll all seem insignificant! smile Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now