Need support- feeling really down about 9wk old sleep

(30 Posts)
tinierclanger Sun 14-Jul-13 08:24:06

Not sure why I'm posting as not really looking for advice, just feeling really down about sleep. DD now 9 weeks old and a few weeks ago was starting to sleep 3.5 hours at night, which I thought was great. Then she got a cold, then the hot weather started, then she had her jabs and is now.really unsettled.

Sleeps in the evening from pretty early - sometimes as early as 5 downstairs on our laps, then I take her up to bed around 9 and the past couple of nights she is unsettled till around 2- feeds a bit, drops off but will only stay settled sleeping on or sometimes next to me- not in sidecar crib. Sometimes I finally get her settled but now she only sleeps maybe 2 hours before waking again.

She naps in the day but nearly always on me, sometimes I can put her down for a bit but then usually wakes after 20 mins.

So fed up as it seemed to be going well and now feel like it has all gone wrong. hmm DS shouting at me this morning as I had to stop playing with him to settle her for nap.

DH and I sleeping separately ATM except weekends by mutual agreement so he can get sleep and he is great but she is EBF so can't do much.

Please cheer me up! Sorry for epic post but v cathartic. hmm

Sleepstarved Sun 21-Jul-13 13:13:58

Hi gang,
I am not coping with this co-sleeping/boob all night, I am so tired I feel like I am going to crumple in a heap.
DD has not gone back to her long first sleep of the night so it's 2 hourly from the moment I put her down and she may take 3 goes a putting down.
I don't know what to try, CIO and CC are off the cards as I don't think she would ever stop or stay asleep if she did go off.
I guess I bite the bullet and keep putting her back in her cot. Maybe when DH around so I can catch up in day.
Naps are the same, needs walking or feeding to sleep and then carefully put down so she doesn't notice.
God I miss those early days when she'd go down at 8pm, wake a little, put herself back to sleep and go through to 2/3 once even 5!

philbee Mon 22-Jul-13 02:24:05

sleepstarved that sounds rotten. No suggestions here I'm afraid. I've started feeding DD to sleep in the evening and putting her in her cot instead of the usual living room screamathon. First night she woke at 12.30 and 4.30, last night 10.30, 1.30, 4.30, 5.30, and so far tonight 8.30, 10.30, 12.30, 1.30... Ugh. I'm hoping it's the 12 weeks growth spurt. She's trying to suck her thumb and just about there - maybe that will mean she can self soothe. Really fed up with the heat now tbh, although I know I'm not supposed to say that.

lem31 Thu 25-Jul-13 05:18:14

Just wanted to share a breakthrough we have had. Bought tomy sleepcurve mattress and put baby in a grobag. Keeping him awake a little longer in the daytime and putting him into his Moses basket in the day when he sleeps where possible.
When I put him down or if he stirs I've been stroking his head or chest rather than picking him up straight away.
Now, its early days but last 2 nights he has gone down really well and slept for 2-3 hours at a time! A good start.

If that doesn't work I've also seen these pods you can get to help you safely co sleep. Not for everyone, but if you are desperate to sleep its gotta be worth it.

God luck. X

tinierclanger Thu 25-Jul-13 10:08:33

Things have definitely improved here. She's settling back into the crib between feeds now. Once or twice gone for 4 hours between feeds as well! Although still mostly 2-3 hours but I'm much less stressed now. Still mostly sleeping on me in the day and feeding or rocking to sleep but I know it's still early days so I'm fine with that ATM. smile

lem31 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:04:44

That's great. It's all small steps, it that 2-3 hours makes all the difference in the world. Well done for sticking with it. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now