2.6 year old and lunchtime nap, or not...

(3 Posts)
shoesontheglasslamp Mon 01-Jul-13 14:00:01

Please help me. My DS is in a phase of dropping his nap (I think, although he goes off fine in the car...)
He says no cot time when it's the usual nap time, usually I pop him in his cot for a while, to see if he'll go off, but he gets in a state very quickly.

So today I tried 'quiet time', in cot, but no covers, curtains open, books and toys, story tape on. He lasted about 5 minutes, then 'mummy come back'. I've been popping in and out explaining what's going on etc, but he's just screaming as soon as I leave the room. He's doing anything to engage in conversation etc.

So what do I do? Any advice? What do I do with him he he doesn't want to nap? Don't really want to use tv, it's more stimulating for him.

Please help.x

VinegarDrinker Mon 01-Jul-13 14:05:57

We're at a very similar stage. DS is 2y4m and sleeps some days and doesn't others. We have compulsory quiet time in his room (with books/toys) for the duration of at least 2 of his story CDs which is 40 mins. He probably sleeps about 1/3 of the time.

We have a 2 way monitor so I can talk to him via that if he is shouting for me, usually just say "I'm just eating my lunch/hanging out the washing/emptying the dishwasher, it's quiet time, I'll be back at the end of your story". Takes a lot of repetition some days but he does stay there without screaming now, although doesn't sleep half as often as I think he needs to!

DC2 is due any day so I was determined to keep some kind of sanity saving DS-free time after lunch for when I have a newborn too...

shoesontheglasslamp Mon 01-Jul-13 21:04:55

Thanks vinegar
Sounds like you have a plan. Which story CDs do you use?
How long did it take your DS to stop screaming?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now