BFed six week old will only feed to sleep but can take hours. Help!

(4 Posts)
babyphat Mon 08-Jul-13 07:11:03

Would he settle in a swing or even a pram? Are you trying to do older kids' bedtimes too? My dd1 was 4 when dd2 was born, I would bf dd2 in the dark in dd1's room while reading her story, wait with dd1 for a bit then carry dd2 still feeding to my room to carry on getting her to sleep. Though that was a little later as the first 8 weeks she was colicy/windy because of a tongue tie, at that point I did dd1 bedtime with her in sling. Not sure if any of this will help, good luck!

Artichook Sun 30-Jun-13 19:55:50

We were keeping him downstairs until last week but he is very easily stimulated and stopped settling down there. He then got overtired and we had several hours of inconsolable screaming. It was awful bit has stopped since I've started settling him upstairs between 6pm and 7pm. I can't risk that crying again so I want to stick with an upstairs bedtime.

I'm not alone but DH works late sometimes or other things mean we aren't both around for bedtime (e.g right how he is at the supermarket buying our dinner).

I just need to find a way of putting DS to bed that doesn't require hours of silence and ignoring my older kids.

haloflo Sun 30-Jun-13 19:49:24

At 6 weeks I wasn't bothered what time my DD2 fell asleep. I kept her with me on my knee til our bedtime til she was completely asleep then took her upstairs. That way I could watch TV. I made sure the volume was low but it didn't seem to bother her. I also have DD1 2 years but my DP dealt with her. Are you by yourself?

If you are by yourself I know other people have tried sling naps during their older children's bedtimes then a later baby bedtime.

Artichook Sun 30-Jun-13 19:44:59

As I sit here quietly BFing DS in a dim room for the 90th minute this evening I need to find a better way to get him off to sleep. He sucks to sleep but often gives himself wind from too much sucking and even when he does drop off he wakes when I take the nipple out of his mouth.

I can't spend this time BFing him to sleep as I have two other young children. DD2 just called for me and I was positively vile to her as it stimulated DS who had finally been getting dozy.

I've tried a dummy, it falls out every 30 secs so I still have to be there for hours and he gets upset after a whilr. He screams if put in his basket or cot awake. We swaddle.

What can I do at this age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now