Not my baby but me!

(2 Posts)
Salukigirl Sat 11-May-13 05:17:12

I have a 20 week old lb who does usually wake once during the night but that's not the problem. I have been awake since 3am this morning and haven't been able to go back to sleep. Lb woke me up with his grunting and leg thumping but I quickly settled him without getting him up then I've been trying to get back to sleep ever since (5.15am now)
This has happened at least once a week for a month and I'm despairing.
I've tried counting, relaxation techniques, breathing techniques, getting up and having a drink/food, reading, watching tv.
I don't drink much alcohol, hardly any caffeine, no chocolate. What can I do? I don't have trouble getting to sleep at night, just getting back to sleep.
Arghhhhh!

YokoUhOh Sat 11-May-13 05:24:25

Hi there and congrats on your LO. DS is 26 weeks and I'm wide awake too smile

I recently read a book on co-sleeping; it cited research which suggested that mums of young babies never enter the deepest phase of sleep (the fourth 'level'). This means that our bodies won't allow us a really refreshing night's sleep, at least while our babies are little. I also think that insomnia in pregnancy is designed to help us cope with this!

Weirdly, it helped me to know that I wasn't missing out on vital sleep, but was some kind of prisoner to a higher evolutionary function smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now