22 month old and trying to break the habit of sleeping in our bed - help!

(3 Posts)
cracker82 Sun 12-May-13 22:55:51

Just read this article from a night nanny and it sounds like a similar situation to what you are suffering. Title is misleading, its about a 3 yr old who gets up to sleep with parents. Might help/inspire.
www.nightnannies.com/2011/05/diary-of-a-night-nanny-sleep-training-a-10-month-old/

CakeInMyFace Fri 10-May-13 07:12:59

I should say she's usually getting up about 6am and has one nap for 1.5 hours (early in the day though) and is up by 2pm.

CakeInMyFace Fri 10-May-13 07:11:40

Our DD is 22 months and for the past few months we've been having lots of problems with bedtime/sleep etc in general. Bedtime isn't too bad, after a few cuddles she's usually down by 7:30 (bath starts at 7pm). However, she consistently wakes up crying around the 9pm mark needing settling (bad dream perhaps?). She then wakes again sometime around 11pm desperate to come in to our bed.

It's our fault for getting into the habit of bringing her into our bed, I thought it was just going to be a phase and she would grow out of it, but it's become a real habit. I'm so shattered. She'll only settle down with me at all times, she sleeps so close to me I'm disturbed all night. Feels like months since I got a good night sleep.

We did a gentle form of controlled crying a few months ago when bedtimes were utter hell, (going in every 3 min to settle her) but doing it at night is a different matter.

Saying that I'm getting desperate and DH and I have no opportunity to cuddle etc anymore either. Any suggestions for breaking the habit? Anyone continue to co-sleep and it just stopped on its own?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now