If you breastfed to sleep, when did your baby start to learn how to self settle without breastfeed?

(24 Posts)
peanutbuttersarnies Sun 05-May-13 21:28:23

I mean with no sleep training. Just when did they developmentally manage it on their own. We are at 14 months and I'm wondering how much longer we have to go!

Ds was 14 months, he just didn't want it one night and into into his cot awake. Never bf since that night.
Dd is 10 months, she does it on occasion but normally falls asleep on boob and I move her over. Will try and do it more and more often so it's easier

peanutbuttersarnies Sun 05-May-13 21:32:54

That sounds promising purplehonesty. I have a feeling you may have been more lucky than most though. Hopefully get a few more replies and see...

PigeonPie Sun 05-May-13 21:34:14

When he (DS2) gave up at 26 months! But he has gone to bed and sleep like a lamb ever since and he's 5 now.

In fact DS1 gave up at 19 months when I was pg with DS2 and he has been far harder to settle (sometimes) even now and he's 7!

Still bf to sleep at 13 months so reading with interest...

notcitrus Sun 05-May-13 22:09:30

dd has in the last week unlatched from bedtime feed and looked zonked and I've been able to put her to bed awake but only just. She's nearly 15 months. I tried cow milk before bed a month ago and she wasn't having it - but with getting ds to sleep too, it was too disruptive.

Ds was happy with cow milk at bedtime from about a year, maybe 14 mo.

peanutbuttersarnies Mon 06-May-13 20:36:44

Bump. Hoping for a few more replies.

Chickpeas2 Mon 06-May-13 20:41:26

Am currently bf DC2 (aged 26 months) to sleep :-/ this so wasn't my plan!

At about 16 months smile

takeaway2 Mon 06-May-13 20:46:10

Watching with interest. Still doing it and dd is 2 years 8 months. hmm Not planned to do this at all. DS was forced off the boob coz it started to hurt. Turns out I was preg with dd. he was 2 years.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 06-May-13 21:16:44

Not entirely helpful, but dd was self settling at 5 months.
We went from bf to sleep, lying together on a futon,
to me putting boob away when she started to do the unlatch/ startle/ latch/ unlatch and repeat, I then lay next to her (mnetting behind her head wink) for a while then leaving.

After about a week of that there came a point where I needed the loo, she had already had a good feed and I was lying next to her, it was go or wet myself so I went. She bawled and I shut the door to slightly drown her out while I peed, by the time I was done she had really geared down to an intermittent grumble so I waited outside the door for a few mins and that was it.
The next night I thought to myself that I should try and re-enact it and see and results were the same.
A couple of weeks later, I stopped lying down to feed her and did a sitting feed then tucked up in cot.

She is now 15mo and we've only had the screaming ab dabs at bed times a handful of times, usually calpol fixes it. If not I do keep going in and reassuring her and then leaving until she settles. I have found a stereo a big help, I think listening to the music gives their little brains something to focus on while they drift off, it doesn't require any effort or concentration and stops the missing you or hearing you.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 06-May-13 21:18:54

For the sake if clarity there should be commas! After leaving blush

Wishiwasanheiress Mon 06-May-13 21:21:23

11 mths but I introduced bottles slowly here too to take over. Finally stopped bf at 16mths and had begun weaning at 6mths.

I cut out the bedtime bf with both of my DC at around 18m, so they weren't feeding to sleep after that time. They were happy to have cowmilk in a cup. DS bf until 2y and DD until 4y.

DS was fine at settling himself but DD required me/DH to sit with her until she went to sleep up until about 2.5y. We did a sort of gradual withdrawal, started with sitting right next to her and progressed over time to sitting out on the landing by bedroom door.

Incidentally I sometimes used a bf to send DD off to sleep during the day almost up until she stopped - was v handy at times when dealing with a cranky toddler wink

justhayley Tue 07-May-13 12:13:27

I have to bf my 12mo DS to sleep. The only way he will sleep without it for me is if I let him stay awake till 10 or later then we cuddle on the sofa and he just drops off from sheer exhaustion. We only do that very occasionally though.
We are thinking of TTC DC2 towards the end of the year and I want DS to be able to settle himself and sleep through before a 2nd bubba needs me all night.

mcgilly Tue 07-May-13 12:28:49

Dd1 - about 18 months with a bit of encouragement, started some bedtime songs which gradually became the new ritual.
Ds1 - about the same.
Ds2 - still feeding like crazy at 14 months, in fact more than ever. He's huge. I wonder if he will ever stop, but the fact I can't really remember the first two children stopping shows a) he will stop and b) it wasn't a big deal in the end.

peanutbuttersarnies Tue 07-May-13 19:48:14

Wishiwasanheiress, did you introduce bottles at 11 months for the first time ever. Or was it just that you hadn't done bottles specifically at bedtime? I'd like to introduce bottle now, but never heard of anyone doing it so late before.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 07-May-13 20:04:44

At about 18 months for my two. Until then they fed to sleep, then they fed and stayed awake! I preferred the feeding to sleep!

They're 2yrs 6mo now and rarely feed at bedtime. Just stories, cuddles and go to sleep. They do sometime still want a bedtime feed though, and DD still feeds once or twice in the night. DS has just started to fairly reliably sleep through they night smile Ignores memories of today's 4.30am start to the day

Nacknick Wed 08-May-13 14:54:10

I gave up feeding to sleep at about 20 months, but it wasn't related to a developmental change and required a long period of gentle encouragement and sitting/lying in bed with him. He still doesn't reliably self-settle at 3yo. I think some children just experience sleep as too much of a separation so find it hard to go to sleep alone.

Saffra Wed 08-May-13 21:08:29

Hmmm... Still waiting for my 19m DD to develop the skill of self settling herself. But, tbh, she's gone from needing my nipple in her mouth all night to turning away from me as soon as she's ready to drop off. Currently consoling myself that she's making progress - albeit slowly!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 11-May-13 09:47:34

I'm on 17mo. He went through phases where he was able to settle himself, but right now, no chance.

In one respect it's handy, because me and my Magic Boobs of Sleep can make him go from bouncing off the walls to flat out snoring in about 10 minutes. I'm a bit worried that if/when we do stop, we'll start having long protracted bedtime routines.

Nacknick Sat 11-May-13 13:45:09

I miss the Magic Boobs of Sleep... yy to long protracted bedtime routines when they don't work anymore sad

moremintsliceplease Sat 11-May-13 15:10:01

When we (gently) night weaned at 17 months though took until 2 and 8 months to fall asleep on his own without us in room.

Just starting again with a newborn and am actively feeding to sleep again...

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 11-May-13 18:16:35

I have a related question. When your DC made the switch, did you notice much of a change in nighttime waking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now