putting 6mo down on side to sleep

(4 Posts)
ENSMUM Mon 29-Apr-13 05:09:58

DS (nearly 6 months) is not a great sleeper. Best we generally get is 1.5 to 2 hours in any one go.

Last night I couldn't get him to settle at all, was very windy - would lift his legs and fart within 5 mins of being put down every time. In the end I put him on his side and he settled straight away then slept for 4 hours :D But - is this safe?

Also, when he woke he was very soggy as his nappy had obviously leaked in this position. Any tips for avoiding this? We use washable nappies bug currently he is in disposables at night.

Thank you

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Apr-13 05:16:48

Both my DSs slept on their sides from quite early on - I coslept with both of them though. So long as they can't roll onto their faces and suffocate, I don't think it's a problem by now.

Leaking nappies - well I haven't solved this but I get around it by making sure there is a baby cloth between DS2 and the bed. By "baby cloth" I mean a large non-waffle blanket or something, which I fold to usually 3x thickness.

TheThickPlottens Mon 29-Apr-13 10:57:44

In many countries, sleeping on their side is the norm. I'm in a Nordic country and since dds birth, they've been placed on their side to sleep. The reasoning being that if they vomited, it wouldn't block their airway (or something like that). My second dd only liked sleeping on her back and I fretted that that would be dangerous!

I tried Pampers baby dry at night and found they held more. Rarely had leaks with them.

jakecat Mon 29-Apr-13 12:06:46

I could have written this! My DD2 is also nearly 6 months & started doing the same last week. Coincided with her learning to roll over but her sleep has been even more unsettled than usual since then. She wakes up and gets very cross if she rolls onto her back or her front and has been hard to resettle often ending up in bed with me feeding her and us both falling asleep. Am really hoping that it will settle down as she was a pretty good/reliable seeper up until 4 months when we hit growth spurts, sleep regression, colds etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now