Tips for longer daytime naps please!

(16 Posts)
wibblyjelly Mon 22-Apr-13 15:27:49

DS is 7 months old, and has 2 or 3 day time naps for approx 40 mins at a time. Does anyone have any ideas how to get him to sleep for longer periods, so that he maybe start having one long nap in the middle of the day for a couple of hours?

MrsNPattz Mon 22-Apr-13 20:41:35

I have no advice sorry but just wanted to say my 7 month old is exactly the same and I think if he slept longer in the day he would sleep better at night!

wibblyjelly Mon 22-Apr-13 20:48:25

Hi MrsN. DS does sleep through the night the majority of the time <sorry> He does get a but grumpy during the day sometimes, which is why I think a longer nap would be better than little cat naps. They are little mysteries, aren't they grin

MrsNPattz Mon 22-Apr-13 21:00:45

They certainly are! I think it's teething causing our night problems, but I do think better naps would help. What date did you have your little one?

wibblyjelly Mon 22-Apr-13 21:09:49

He was born on the 26 Sept 2012. How about you?

Smartiepants79 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:13:49

Hmm it's weird isn't it. My 4 months old can sleep for 1.5 hrs first thing (9 ish) but after that all naps only last about 45 minutes!
Why!
Why can she settle so well at one time of the day and so badly at another?
Why?
It's currently driving me nuts!

stargirl1701 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:16:49

My 7 month old DD is the same. Very short catnaps during the day. I tried going in after 35/40 mins to try and soothe her before she wakes (from NCSS) but it just woke her up.

wibblyjelly Mon 22-Apr-13 21:51:55

I guess I should just be pleased that most times, he self settles during the night if he wakes up. I'd rather he do it at night than during the day smile

Nicknamefail Mon 22-Apr-13 22:42:24

My 6 1/2 mo takes 30 min naps. I tried to get her to nap for longer by wearing her in a sling. Now she sometimes sleeps for 40 mins but now won't go back in her cot. Wish I'd never taken to wearing her.

MrsNPattz Tue 23-Apr-13 00:51:48

Wibbly little man was the 16th smile

I've tried watching him when we are nearing the 30 min mark and then as soon as I see movement doing anything to help him go straight back to sleep - feeding, rocking etc but it doesn't always work!

BibbityBotBot Tue 23-Apr-13 09:52:03

I'm having the same problem with my 6.5 month twins. Gradually their daytime naps are becoming less and less which I think is having an effect on their night time sleep as they've started waking earlier hmm.

Babies of ths age have a sleep cycle of 40 mins which is why they all seem to wake after that time. Mine slept for 10 minutes in the car on the way back from school. Wtf?! I'm trying to get them to have a longer afternoon nap. Yesterday dtd woke after 40 mins but I left her grizzling and it took a good 20 mins for her to go back off again but she did smile.

No other answers though sad.

wibblyjelly Tue 23-Apr-13 11:04:00

Sounds like they are all the same then, hopefully its something that will come with time.

wibblyjelly Wed 24-Apr-13 14:47:17

DS has been asleep for 1 hour 20 minutes at the moment. I've not done anything different, so its probably just a one off, but we will see....

stargirl1701 Wed 24-Apr-13 16:34:15

DD could've napped for as long she wanted on Monday as we in the house all day. She napped 20 mins. I needed to be in town for 10.30am this morning - I had to wake her after an hour. Babies!

Andcake Wed 24-Apr-13 17:11:58

My 8 mo often still has 45 min naps but I've found that if when he wakes I treat it as a nightime wake and instantly resettle him he will sleep for longer in the second Half of the nap iykwim. Also I've found in desperation lying next to him and reading whilst he naps get longer naps as I can resettle him quickly if he stirs.

TallGiraffe Wed 24-Apr-13 17:23:02

Wibbly, we have a 26th Sept baby too grin He doesn't do longer naps either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now