4 year old and horrific sleep

(5 Posts)
NoBloodyMore Sun 21-Apr-13 21:36:25

Hi I'm after some advice/help, I am at the end of my tether with 4yo DD, she's never been a great sleeper, she's always been in and out of my bed, still needs a nappy for bed, extremely grumpy if woken up etc but these last few months she has started having some kind of massive tantrum when she's asleep.

It usually starts when she's been asleep an hour or so she starts screaming, sobbing, shouting, sweating, it's always a different thing she's screaming about toothache, she wants me, doesn't want me, missing her daddy (he's at work), thirsty, hungry.

It used to be the odd night but recently it's been every night, so far tonight she's been at it 1.5 hours, nothing seems to work to snap her out of it. Shouting (awful I know but I'm seriously sleep deprived), reasoning, cuddling, nothing. I've been really really cross with her and it doesn't make any diff.

I did think she was doing it for attention but I've promised all sorts if she sleeps all night (sleepovers, days out) and she does seem really proud of herself if she manages all night without an episode/waking up but I'm being to think its something more than that now.

I am at breaking point now with her, any tips/advice/ anyone had something similar cause I'm seriously struggling here?

madaboutmadmen Wed 24-Apr-13 20:02:35

I'm on here lookimg for advice about the same thing with my DS (3), so no advice, just sympathy and to let you know it's not just you! i actually think it's really common.

Victoria2002 Thu 25-Apr-13 23:13:34

Is it night terrors and/or confusional awakenings? These can happen at the same time each night, you should read up on it and see if it sounds similar. Is she truly awake? Does she remember it in the morning? Good work trying bribery as with a 4 year old that's a great way to check weather they are doing it on purpose/consciously. Sounds awful poor you.

NoBloodyMore Fri 03-May-13 21:37:11

Only just got back to this, she seems aware she's been awake but not sure if that's just cause me or DH tell her, I've read up on night terrors and not sure that sounds like it, she's still really bad and has been all week again, exhausting.

She does seem to want to sleep through and she's always very pleased with herself when she does but it's a very rare occurrence these days hmm

What's her diet like? Lots of sugar? What about tv? Try cutting both out and plenty of fresh air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now