Possibly silly question about new babies and sleeping

(15 Posts)
GettingObsessive Sun 21-Apr-13 18:31:56

So, I know that the baby will sleep a lot but not necessarily for long stretches and not at night (!) and I also know that the baby might start in a moses basket in our room.

But what about, say, in the early evening, when it's baby's "bedtime" but we're still awake? I appreciate that I might also be ready to crawl into bed at 7pm, but if not, what do we do then?

Do we put the baby in the moses basket in the living room with us and just keep the telly turned down low, or take the basket up to our room and let the baby sleep there?

Mannequinkate Sun 21-Apr-13 18:34:47

Keep the baby with you. You won't need to turn the telly down they sleep through anything in the early days

Good luck

for the first few months I let mine sleep downstairs in the early evening.

Yes, keep them with you for first couple of weeks at least - you won't WANT to have them far anyway.

smellsofsick Sun 21-Apr-13 18:40:13

DD2 snoozed on us for first six weeks or so, then gradually started going in Moses basket and now at 17 weeks sleeps in own room in cot, settling about 7ish.

Can take ages for them to settle early evening but would recommend at least starting to put them down where you want them to sleep, even if they end up on you until bed time.

GettingObsessive Sun 21-Apr-13 18:53:03

Ah, thanks. I couldn't for the life of me work out what I would do!

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 21-Apr-13 18:56:22

We had a Moses stand in the living room and the bedroom and just took them upstairs when we went

blushingmare Sun 21-Apr-13 18:56:40

DD slept on DH in the evenings after dinner for about the first 10 weeks, while I had a bath and got an hour or so's sleep myself. From 10 weeks onwards I started putting her down in the Moses basket in our room, although it would take a long drawn out settling regime to get her to stay there.

Andcake Sun 21-Apr-13 19:01:05

Sids Guidelines are for them to always sleep in the same room as you are until 6 months. Many parenting books actually contradict this. Also don't underestimate how many times you'll need to just check them or look at them :-) In the first few weeks evening cluster feeding etc will probably mean that 7 is a bit ambitious but its important to let them get used to the difference between day and night by making the evening onwards quieter and darker. But you're right you may well want to retreat to bed early outré self. They will probably feed every 3-4 hours so you will get some sleep at night ( just in small doses) until they can do longer stretches. Good luck

milkwasabadchoice Sun 21-Apr-13 19:03:59

Ours slept on my lap or DH's chest in early days and went to bed with us. Ds consented to settle in basket in our bedroom at 7pm from about seven weeks. Dd took a while longer! We didn't move them into their own rooms till six/seven months but many people move them earlier.

DoodleAlley Sun 21-Apr-13 19:10:32

With DS we did a bedtime routine but SIDS advice has changed since then and we current have Dd squeaking away in her sleep inmoses basket in lounge next to us.

She is still little and cluster feeding a lot of the evening but we will eventually work towards a bedtime routine even if it takes place in lounge due to SIDS advice.

Phineyj Sun 21-Apr-13 20:11:20

No need to turn telly down (unless you listen to it very loud!) as if LO learns to sleep through moderate amounts of background noise that will be of great benefit in future e.g. on holiday, sharing room and you could potentially go for a meal while the baby sleeps in pram, etc. Also as my midwife pointed out, it is v.noisy in the womb.

GettingObsessive Sun 21-Apr-13 21:02:42

Is it really?! I'd sort of imagined it like listening to everything under water - muffled and indistinct. But I suppose there's my innards going as well.

OohShiny Sun 21-Apr-13 21:12:17

My 4 week old is currently snoozing on me as I couldn't bare to put her down in her Moses basket!

We have the cot upstairs and basket downstairs. DD snoozes in basket in the early evening while we have tea/watch tele and we have been taking her up to bed around 9 or 10.

You might get lucky where they don't even wake up when you carry them up. Our DD slept from half 6 to 1am last night, longest sleep so far! and that was with 2 moves (taken downstairs then back up again!)

OohShiny Sun 21-Apr-13 21:13:04

Oh, and our baby sleeps through the tv and even the Hoover and my hair dryer while she's sat on my lap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now