Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

How to get almost 3 year old to self settle to sleep

(4 Posts)
omama Sat 27-Apr-13 21:05:13

Well iiwy i would try a couple of things.

I would def give a later bedtime a try on the days he naps 2hrs. If its a short nap of 45mins he'll more likely be ready at his usual time.

If the later bedtime doesn't help (give it a few weeks try) then i would look at your nap timing. I found with my ds if he napped too early we'd get messing around at bedtime, early waking or both. So if he regularly goes down before 1pm I would try pushing nap to 1pm earliest, possibly later. I found that by doing this it actually improved his settling time at bedtime.

My ds is 2.8 & he currently naps 2-4pm & bed at 8pm, up around 7am, however, he only naps around twice a week now. If he were napping more frequently i imagine he might take longer to settle.

Your other option of course is to reduce the number of days he naps & you may find this improves how he settles & how long he sleeps at night.x

Csimms Mon 22-Apr-13 13:46:19

Hi, That sounds like a good plan/idea to follow.

He naps about 3 or 4 days a week. Most of the time he sleeps just after lunch time but on some occassions he stays awake till mid/late afternoon. I have tried to keep his bath time/bed time routine at the same time, weather he naps early afternoon or late afternoon. Perhaps I should try doing the bedtime routine a bit later if he sleeps later in the afternoon.
I usual give him a bath around 7-7.15pm. So that I am putting him in bed about 7.30pm. Was thinking that perhaps I should start the routine off a bit earlier in the evening ??
He naps during the day from anywhere between 45mins to 2 hours. What ever time he falls asleep in the evening, early or late he still wakes up about 6.30am.

Do you think I should alter his routine slighly ??

Thanks

omama Sun 21-Apr-13 15:48:53

Can you post his routine including wakeup time, naptime/length & bedtime (time you try to put him down & also the time he eventually settles)?

Roughly how many days/week does he nap?

My ds is 2.8 & naps approx 2 days a week now. From age of 2 we realised that while the nap stays he would need a later bedtime than his former 7/7.30 & so on nap days he goes to bed at 8pm & if he doesnt nap then its 6.30-7pm. This seems to work really well & we no longer get messing around for ages before he goes to sleep.

Csimms Fri 19-Apr-13 21:51:27

Hi, my DS will be 3 in a few months, he is fairly good at bedtime, but it can take me anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half to get him to sleep.
I used to give him a bath, bottle, stories and then lay beside him in bed until he went to sleep.
I have managed to retreat a bit from the routine, so that instead of laying next to him in the bed, I sit on a chair next to his bed and wait for him to fall asleep. Some times he wants a cuddle and for me to put a reasuring hand on his back, other times he is happy for me to just sit there until he is asleep.
I do have the odd few nights, where I think he has settled enough to start going to sleep then he keeps asking to go and sit on the sofa for a cuddle. I have managed to be strong willed and have just sat by his door to stop him getting out. He eventually gives in and I can put him back to bed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can move on to get him to self settle and perhaps to go to sleep a bit quicker.

I think that his nap during the day plays a part in it. Sometimes he can go all day with out a nap and other days, he needs one and can not stay awake.

Sorry this is a bit long winded.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now