Help! If your DC wake up at 0615!what time is their first nap??

(15 Posts)
DangerMousey Tue 16-Apr-13 06:34:41

4mo DS keeps waking up at 0615. This is pretty darn good I know as he goes to bed at. 7pm, has a dream feed at 10pm and then does not get out of his cot again till morning. He doesn't 'sleep through' as he wakes a couple of times in the night for a cuddle/tummy rub but I think we are doing pretty well for 18 weeks.

Anyway, if he wakes up at 0615 what time should I be putting him down for his first nap?? He will be knackered again by 0815 but this just seems a bit ridiculous to me: should he be napping again so early??

Wwyd? Would you try to stretch him out till 9?

Fairylea Tue 16-Apr-13 06:37:43

My ds 10 months has always woken between 5-6 despite going down well at 6.30 and he wont let me push bedtime back without being completely miserable so I just go with the flow....! He has his first nap at about 7.30/8 .... I don't mind too much as it means I get time to have breakfast and have a shower before the school run with my older child. He then wakes about 8.30 and has another nap at 12/1ish for two hours.

Fairylea Tue 16-Apr-13 06:39:36

Meant to say at 4months especially I would just go with what your lo wants you to. It's still very tiny and their routine may change again anyway soon (my ds didn't but I'm told its common for a sleep regression around 4 and then again 9 months).

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 16-Apr-13 06:41:27

My DS is 20 weeks. He needs a nap pretty much two hours after he has got up. He tends to sleep 7 to 7 (very lucky, I know) so he'll usually go back down at around 9:15

blackteaplease Tue 16-Apr-13 06:44:37

My 7 month old wakes at 6 and goes down for his first nap at about 8.30 then depending on how long he has napped for he will have either 1 latemorning and 1mid afternoon or 1 straight after lunch.

Beware the 4 month regression . Ds was sleeping 9 hours straight then went back to waking like a newborn for a couple of weeks. It was rough.

lazzaroo Tue 16-Apr-13 06:47:43

My DD, similar age, wakes at about the same time. I'll try to get her down again for about 8am. If I try to keep her awake longer she'll be miserable and it'll get her off to bad start for the day! As a general rule I try not to let her be awake for more than 2 hours at a time. She only naps for 40 mins at a time so needs to go down regularly. Plus 8am nap gives me chance to do breakfast etc for dd1.

nextphase Tue 16-Apr-13 06:56:15

Yep, we used to do the 8am napping thing....
It actually worked very well - gave me a chance to get ready, do some jobs, and then get lout for the 10am morning activities!
Find a way round it that works for you - any chance of occasionally DH getting up early, and putting back for a nap before going to work?? Then you can sleep til 10!!! We did this some weekends - tho I'd do the feed, everything else was down to DH. It was LOVELY!

ArabellaBeaumaris Tue 16-Apr-13 07:01:02

Dd used to have her first nap around then. Is he down to 2 naps a day? At that stage I do the first nap two hours after waking, second nap three hours after waking from nap, & bedtime 4 hours after that.

fuckwittery Tue 16-Apr-13 07:05:33

2 hours after waking definitely at that age! Not sure why you'd want to stretch it out and risk overtired baby. Are you following a particular routine, what knock on effects are you worried about?

DangerMousey Tue 16-Apr-13 07:53:04

Thanks guys! I will stick with what LO wants then and put him down around 8am today.

Like lazzaroo my DS only naps for 40 mins max throughout the day for a moment so my guy feeling is he needs to go down every 2 hours.

fuckwittery not following a particular routine from a book or anything realised a few weeks ago DS has not read any of those books! but am just a bit concerned about what it will mean for the rest of the day: because he is incapable for napping longer than 40 mins at the moment this early start means we could be on for 5 naps today! Which just seems a bit daft to me, for some reason! And not what other people's babies seem to be doing at this age although why I care what those women from the NCT group's babies are doing is anyone's guess...

For example, despite his catnapping and inability to stay awake for more than 90 mins/2 hours during the day, my DS is perfectly happy to go 4.5 hours at least between bottles. So he had his breakfast bottle at 7am this morning but now won't be hungry again until around 1130 or more likely noon. But between now and then he will have at least 2 naps. And as we are in the house today it just feels like I am spending the whole day putting him down for naps as getting him up!

Reckon I should just roll with this at this age, and hope that both his naps and the length of time he can stay awake, will increase as he gets a bit older??

fuckwittery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:46:17

Ah i see, maybe try and start extending the lunchtime nap to try and get a 1.5 to 2 hour one in but I also had two catnapping babies who found it hard to get out of the 45 min nap and I'm sure we did 5 naps at times! Have you tried having him in pram and rocking him back to sleep or lying with him to try and get longer naps? I wouldn't worry though.

fuckwittery Tue 16-Apr-13 11:46:38

They extend naturally as they get older!

Snowfedup Tue 16-Apr-13 12:36:02

Hi my lo is same re short naps but lots if them I was hoping they would lengthen as he gets older (16 weeks at minute) orate once on solids?

lazzaroo Tue 16-Apr-13 12:56:25

This is my second cat-napper so I should be used to it! But it's still frustrating whe others talk of that wonderful 2 hour lunchtime nap. It's never happened in this house! My DD1 did eventually sleep longer for naps (ironically it eventually gets to the point where you have to wake them to get them to bed at a reasonable time!) but I don't remember at what age she did that. Trying to extend naps usually just results in a seriously cheesed off baby in this house! Even in pram if still walking she won't go off again...can't even rely on a long car journey which we could with dd1. It's a good job they're so cute & can get away with it!

DangerMousey Tue 16-Apr-13 13:22:13

Thanks for the reassurance ladies!

lazzaroo glad to hear my DS is not the only catnapping baby! Yes, trying to extend DS's naps is pointless...even out in the buggy on a nice long walk he will wake after 40 mins and then will not go back to sleep. And in the car he has been knwon to do an hour but then just wakes up and cries the rest of the journey sad Guess I just have to ride it out then and hope he starts taking slightly longer naps when he's a bit older! It makes me sound really lazy but i would just love an hour or 90 mins to gather my self at lunchtime! 45 minutes isn't enough time for anything, apart from a cup of tea and 20 mins on MN!

fuckwittery am glad to hear they do extend their naps as they get older! He has just gone down for his third nap of the day at 1pm....if I am lucky this means he will just have 4 naps today, not 5, as he will probably wake up at 1340, i will put him down again after his 1530 bottle, and then he will be in bed around 1830/1845 so at least i get a nice long evening to myself with DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now