soooo.... its still light outside.

(9 Posts)
teacher123 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:46:32

My mum bought me some blackout liners-think they were from dunelm mill? They were cheap as chips, about £10? We also have a groblind which we have on the window as well as it gets the morning sun in there and light escapes out the sides!

We also have a radio playing quietly on static all night to block out any noise outside.

HoppinMad Wed 17-Apr-13 19:59:30

Thanks for the replies

I will definitely be buying some blackout blinds then, it seems these should do the trick. But what brands would you suggest? Ive read the gro are a bit of a faff if removing every morning, which I will be doing, and the suction caps arent that sticky or some are too sticky they have caused cracks in window!

Great idea about the white noise, but it wouldnt work now shame i didnt start when at newborn stage.

MillionPramMiles Wed 17-Apr-13 16:28:35

Hi - my 10 month old dd is a very light sleeper and needs pitch darkness. We use a blackout blind, blackout curtains and (because the sun still comes in through the top of the window as there's no pelmet) I actually taped dark coloured card over the windows (a great tip from a mn user!). We also leave white noise on all night (free app on the iPad).

We have black out blinds and a sound machine that I have used since they were born. LO's bedroom faces the road so quite a bit of noise. It drowns out the noise and they can sleep through anything.

SweepTheHalls Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:08

We have blackout blinds and blackout lined curtains!

teacher123 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:29:53

Black out blinds are brilliant, DS wouldn't ever go to bed without them I don't think! We've got two on his window at the moment to try and block out the morning sun and we keep all the internal doors shut upstairs once he goes to bed so it's really dark (no window in our hallway). Also we have a dimmer switch in his bedroom so he has his bath and it's really bright, gets dressed in our room, less bright, go into his room for a story and a cuddle, it's less bright again and then lights off once he's in his cot.

HoppinMad Mon 15-Apr-13 20:16:17

I do love the long warm days of summer
(I'm not that much of a misery) grin but ds can be a real misery with lack of sleep,its awful the grumpiness and cryingfor no reason. He has started waking earlier too groan

Do they do kids earplugs? Or is that abit insane?

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Mon 15-Apr-13 20:12:08

I love it! Leaving work and it's still light!

HoppinMad Mon 15-Apr-13 20:10:14

I have actually been dreading this time of year when its gone 7pm ie bedtime and its still light outside and kids are still playing and ds (3) refusing to sleep.

The good part is he has not refused but has fallen asleep just now, and its taken an hour. (Normally 15 minutes). He was very very tired too as first day back in nursery. Its going to get worse isnt it through all of summer sad what can I do to minimise the noise and disruption as hes a very light sleeper, and no doubt will wake up continually with the iirritating screaming and shouting of the kids outside. I have been thinking of ordering a blackout blind which will help the light. But the noise? Its not possible to chsnge bedrooms to the back of the house (plus lots of noise on that side too) it doesnt help theres a park just a minute away.

Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now