Quick question: if baby's bedtime is at 7pm, where do you put them?

(18 Posts)
Iggi101 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:17:37

givemeaclue - easy enough to make the living room different in the evening - lower lights, quieter (or no!) tv. Bath etc also cues them up for sleep.

teacher123 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:49:20

Persevere! It's worth it in the end! I started 'putting DS to bed' at about 6 weeks-I started a routine at about 6pm and worked on from there. I would finally settle him, run downstairs to eat my tea, and then go and iPad in the dark/ go to bed by about 8pm, so he'd be on his own for about an hour max in those early weeks. I know that it's contrary to SIDS advice, but he was (and remains) impossible to settle if there's any light or noise, so keeping him downstairs in our open plan house was a no no. At 11 months he still goes to bed at about 6pm smile I'd say it took till 4 months till he reasonably reliably would settle at 6pm, and it wasn't until he learnt to self settle at about 5 months that he stopped the random wakings about 30 minutes after he dropped off. Good luck!

givemeaclue Mon 08-Apr-13 12:10:07

We put in Moses baskets in dark at bed time, if they are in living room with you how do they know its bedtime, tv on, noise etc

Iggi101 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:07:58

Tomorrow is another day! Good luck

TwitchyTail Sun 07-Apr-13 21:46:49

Thanks all!

First shot at bedtime routine has so far consisted of him screaming blue murder through his relaxing bath and soothing massage while I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star loudly on a loop, then being wide awake all evening for a massive clusterfeed that culminated in him puking milk through his nose wtf . He is still wide awake and is now giving me a cheerful where's-the-party-at look hmm

I will keep trying.

DangerMousey Sun 07-Apr-13 21:21:42

We put DS in his moses basket in our bedroom from 7pm ish from 7 weeks onwards. With a monitor. We live in a small flat though so he was only ever next door to the living room anyway, rather than being upstairs. I know this makes no difference to the SIDS risk though.

But it felt like the right thing to do, to us.

He is now 17 weeks old and sleeps in his own cot in his own bedroom (on the other side of the living room!). He goes to bed between 6.30-7pm, has a dreamfeed at 10pm, and then doesn't feed again until 7.30am he does usually wake a few times bewteen 2am and 7am but goes back off to sleep with a little cuddle/tummy rub/dummy

You must do what feels right for you.

MajaBiene Sun 07-Apr-13 13:04:42

I don't think baby monitors actually reduce the SIDS risk though, so that is something to bear in mind.

Poppins27 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:54:23

I started our bedtime routine with my Dd when she was also 6/7 weeks old and it's worked brilliantly for us. We would put her upstairs in her Moses basket in our bedroom, but we did have a monitor that also had a sensor movement pad for reassurance. In not sure I would have been so happy doing it without if I'm honest. Obviously Dd was still waking for feeds at that point and i would always feed upstairs too.

She loves her bedtime now and me and Dp have been able to get some quality time together on an evening.

tomatoplantproject Sun 07-Apr-13 12:37:43

Good luck! Once dd is properly asleep she goes in our room upstairs with the monitor on but that's normally past 8.30 and we're normally only an hour or so behind her in coming up. She's 5 months and we've always been doing this.

vvviola Sun 07-Apr-13 12:34:29

We did pram downstairs for DD2 & was really quite nice - her bedtime was a signal for lights on v low & movie on TV. Got to spend so much time curled up with DH on the couch compared to DD1, where I spent most of the evening running in and out to our bedroom.

We really only started putting her to bed properly at about 4 or 5 months.

minipie Sun 07-Apr-13 12:27:46

we do cot upstairs and monitor, but then we didn't start the 7pm bedtime till quite a bit older (at 6 weeks DD was still sleeping on my chest all night...)

birdofthenorth Sun 07-Apr-13 12:10:09

Always wondered this as ended up holding DD1 all evening having got her bathed & pj's etc which rather defeated the point! Thanks OP.

TwitchyTail Sun 07-Apr-13 11:47:09

Great, thanks very much for speedy responses! Pram downstairs it is then.

MrsLHofstadter Sun 07-Apr-13 11:20:09

DS sleep in moses basket or big cushions and a blanket on the floor in the room with us then go up to bed when we did. If he was asleep when one of us went to bed the other would bring him up when he woke up/we went to bed.

Iggi101 Sun 07-Apr-13 11:18:34

Pram.
We have done both, but only because I didn't properly understand the SIDS stuff with ds1.
Was easy enough to still have a routine - bath, feed, bed clothes and into pram, then lifted for another feed when I went to bed (or rather, I went to bed when he wanted a feed around 11).
Upstairs and baby monitor is too far imo and doesn't have the beneficial effects of others breathing in the same room.
It didn't stop us watching tv etc.

MrsBungle Sun 07-Apr-13 11:16:52

My babies stayed in the living room with us in the basket or pram until we went to bed.

MajaBiene Sun 07-Apr-13 11:15:27

At 6 weeks I would keep them in the same room as you due to the SIDS risk.

TwitchyTail Sun 07-Apr-13 11:13:24

Trying to start a bedtime routine with my 6 week old - good luck to me with that I know hmm - but just confused as to where to put him between 7pm and our own bedtime (about 11pm) when we are downstairs. He is currently in a cot in our room at night, having denounced the moses basket as unworthy, and has daytime naps in the pram downstairs.

Should I put him straight in the cot upstairs and use a baby monitor, or let him sleep in pram 7pm to 11pm and then transfer him up with us? Cot seems to make more sense but isn't this against the FSIDs guidelines?

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now