Trying a new sleep method without me...

(35 Posts)

I am currently sitting in another room to my baby and dp is aiming to get him off to sleep. This is massive for us as DS has always been breastfed to sleep and co-slept with us, but next to me. He is 9 months old and I can't take it any more. He wakes very frequently in the night every night. I have not slept more than 90 mins at once since he was born and that was on a good night. It's usually 30-60 mins.

He's trying to get him calm walking around and then put him in bed awake but stay with him and comfort etc...I am not holding out much hope...he is the sort of baby that screams till sick within a couple of minutes.

I can hear him crying and it's breaking my heart...actually maybe I should just go to him and put up with the shit sleep sad

I'm just broken...

Thanks happy something tells me I will also just have to ride it out. I should count myself lucky I have a dp and don't work, it could be so much harder!

Actually, before the formula I have another idea. I am going to try and keep him up. Not till he's overtired but I'm going to get him to nap instead of go to bed.

You know like when they are newborns they nap on and off all day and go to bed late...maybe he's still in that stage. His naps got messed up today anyway so they have been at 8am for an hour, 2pm for an hour and now at 5.45. Maybe he could have another later depending on how long he sleeps now. And then late bedtime.....I know it's not the done thing but worth a try!

teacher123 Sat 23-Mar-13 18:27:21

Anything is worth a try!

crazycrush Sat 23-Mar-13 20:58:45

It sounds like you are doing BLW, but if you can get your head around it I'd give a big bowl of porridge for dinner... At least you know he'll be full and can be slowly weaned off breast feeding to sleep.. You want to aim to put him down drowsy but awake..

crazycrush Sat 23-Mar-13 21:02:04

I doubt that he is still in the newborn stage nap-wise tbh.. Anyway, good luck!! I've been in your shoes. It is bloody hard.

teacher123 Sun 24-Mar-13 08:31:52

How was last night OP?

BertieBotts Sun 24-Mar-13 08:43:19

I'm in favour of keeping the feeding but doing it in their own bed and you coming back to bed- or bringing them in but moving them back afterwards. This admittedly is easier with an older baby, though.

Have you tried the Pantley-Pull off? That worked for me at around 9 months and cut the night wakings a lot.

Last night was bad! Well, he had 4 naps yesterday instead of the usual 2 but the last nap he couldn't get off to sleep properly so just rested for about half an hour, was very happy, went to bed at 10pm, tried feeding him to sleep bit same as usual clambered all over me. It's too painful so dp walked him around house till he fell asleep. Then put him in bed with me. There were a few less wakings but not much less and now he's been napping all day...not really a success!

However, it does show that when he doesn't sleep well at night he catches up in the day...which suggests if I cut his naps short in the day, I may have a grumpy baby for a few days but he should sleep better at night.....this is my next plan, haha!

bertie it's extremely hard to move him without waking so I would have to feed in his own bed, but I would really like to cut out the feed to sleep as it's painful. Is the pantely pull off just unlatching them before they fully fall asleep? I do that quite a bit but it either wakes him so much he needs feeding again or work but doesn't get me anywhere iyswim?

crazy i'll try the porridge trick, but I'm pretty certain he's not really waking for hunger

Last night was worse, he woke screaming fo an hour like he'd had a nightmare or something, then basically fidgeted all night while drifting in and out of sleep every 15 mins or so. Soooooo tired!

Comes to nap time this morning, I just put him in his buggy, sit him in front of the washing machine, leave him and he's asleep, no fuss, and will stay that way for 2 hours.....argh!

I just have a really strong feeling something is wrong medically, it's like he can't get comfortable in bed all night, rubbing his head, bulldozing anything he can with his head turning all over the place etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now