Need some quick suggestions about what to do tonight please

(6 Posts)
Sleepybunny Wed 20-Mar-13 20:04:23

My DD is 18 weeks and I think we've hit the dreaded 4 month sleep regression thing (although she's never been a good sleeper).

I'm working hard at encouraging naps in the day and plenty of bf but she really struggles. She's now got into the habit of going down for a nap at 4-5ish and sleeping past her bath time which is normally at 7pm.

She's now sleeping in her pram, and has been since 4:30, should I wake her and push for the bath time bed time routine, or just go with the flow, feed her when she wakes naturally and put her in her cot for the night?

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 20-Mar-13 20:07:24

I would wake her now, and put her to bed later than normal. Otherwise she'll be up all night.

Loislane78 Wed 20-Mar-13 20:08:34

I know the rule is never to wake a sleeping baby but I would in this scenario (assuming she's not sick/had jabs or anything). At 18 wks we also hit sleep regression but bedtime and its routine was one thing we kept (it was the night wakings that were a problem!) and you don't want her reverse cycling.

Sleepybunny Wed 20-Mar-13 20:17:24

God I never thought about reverse cycling!! Night wakings have been a real problem, waking every 2 hrs on average.

So skip the bath and just feed her now and straight to bed?

She's not sick, temperature good, has been content all day and feeding well.

Loislane78 Wed 20-Mar-13 20:42:00

I guess she can stay awake for what 1.5 hours 2 max? I'd wake her up, feed, condense but do some of the bedtime routine so she knows what's coming iyswim, another quick feed and bed.

GL smile

CarlyRose80 Fri 22-Mar-13 09:35:59

We had to do this as LO would take a massive nap from 5-8 if allowed which messed up bed time. Now I don't let him sleep past 6.30 and try to have him down for his afternoon nap by 4.30. Doesn't always work and he just lays there talking. But I wake him by 6.30, 7 at the very latest or bedtime is just a screw up lol. He will still go down fine but just means he's up early. Like last night, grandma had him all day and he only slept for 1 hour all day!!! Got him home and at 4 he was fast out till 7! Slept ok at night but we were to at 5.45 instead of 7am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now