is this normal?!!

(6 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Mar-13 14:34:27

As long as she is getting all her feeds in then yes, it's fine smile

teena111 Sun 24-Mar-13 14:32:02

during the day, she sometimes falls asleep under baby gym, by herself, or in our bed by herself, or i rock her to sleep in my arms and now have started to put her in the pram and rock her and this seems to be working OK!! She has a bit of a cold now and has reverted to sleeping ALL the time during day and night the last 2 days!! I guess she needs it????

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 21-Mar-13 15:48:47

Ok so that's good. Where does she sleep in the day and how do you try to settle her?

teena111 Thu 21-Mar-13 15:22:24

no not feeding to a schedule as such.. she just seems to be hungry every 3 hours during the day .. and at night the times have always been the same..she kinda fell into it herself althought the last 2 nights shes woken at 11pm to feed now..

not sure if its an issue falling asleep on the breast at this age? will it create issues later on?? not so bothered esp at night...

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 20-Mar-13 18:22:45

Are you feeding to a schedule teena or just when she asks for it (on demand)?

If she is guaranteed to fall asleep on the breast, is that an issue?

teena111 Wed 20-Mar-13 13:51:47

I have a 7 week old daughter. She is exclusively breastfed and is putting on weight (11lbs now) and peeing and pooping fine!! Over the last 2 weeks she has been sleeping very well at night - bath-feed-bed at 8pm and then wakes at 2/3am then again at 6am/7am. She generally feeds every 3 hours during the day.

However during the day she does not sleep! Today for example she woke and fed at 7.30am and then again at 10.30am and only fell asleep at 1pm. So total hours awake are 5.5 hrs. She did NOT cry during this time. Or become irritable. By this time (1pm today) it is almost time for her next feed. Sometimes she cat naps, about 10/15mins or half hr at a time. Occasionally she cries, and I have learnt that its not a hungry cry but a tired cry. She often falls asleep after wimpering for 5mins, only to wake again at the slightest noise. But there are times when she has really gone to sleep and u can make as much noise as u like and she wont rouse at all.

She likes to suck her fists and its clear she likes to comfort suck, as I am always battling with - is she still hungry etc etc. If she is grizzly and sucking her fists after 4 hours of being awake and just after a feed i wander is she stilll hungry so If I put her to the breast she might suckle but gets frustrated when the milk comes in and pulls her head side to side (a sign she wants to suckle but doesnt want the milk?) She will always garanteed fall asleep if I leave her on the boob for long enough, so am starting to wander if its a sleep association thing? Its just some days she willl have slept total of about 1 or 2 hours... Is this normal??? But does not ball or scream or become irritable..
she does yawn tho, and i can tell she is tired!

I have read most babies this age shouldnt and musnt stay awake longer than max 2 hours.. so why does she?? I try everything to get her to sleep too!!! Thing is at night she sleeps and settles so well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now