Jo Frost Controlled Timed Crying for 9mo baby

(137 Posts)
DrGarnettsWinterMixture Wed 13-Mar-13 20:01:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrGarnettsEasterMixture Wed 03-Apr-13 09:48:26

Babybeesmama Wed 03-Apr-13 10:15:30

I probably cocked it up sad after another 16 mins I found that if I just left my hand on him he went to sleep, I felt terrible that he just wants the reassurance that I'm there. I ended up sleeping on a mattress in nursery, he woke again at 12,3,5 tho. Just putting my hand on him seemed to work but I'm doubtful it will be a long term solution. But its so hard sad. DH is fed up of me changing my mind and wants us to stick to just one method of sleep training. I feel a bit naff about it all. Do you all think I should stick with CC and not stay in nursery? X

DrGarnettsEasterMixture Thu 04-Apr-13 10:07:08

DrGarnettsEasterMixture Thu 04-Apr-13 10:08:15

lotsofcheese Thu 04-Apr-13 10:10:47

I felt 9 months was too young for cc. Tried pick-up-put-down from the Baby Whisperer & it worked a treat, much kinder for baby & less stress for me!

Grantsunflower21 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:10:21

Hello all,

Have just read all this conversation with great interest.

My lo is just 9 months and thinking of giving the jo frost method a shot.

We stopped night feeding a week ago so may wait another week to see if the multiple night wakings stop themselves.

One question, if one lot of timings works and they fall asleep and say in 10/15/20 mins later they wake do you start all over again?

Thanks.

Nic

Babybeesmama Thu 04-Apr-13 19:08:10

Thanks drgarnett, I just felt terribly guilty that all he wanted was my hand on him & the comfort from having me close. DH has got 2 weeks of work at end of April so might go with gradual retreat until then, if it doesn't improve will do CC whilst he's off & can help. I'm sick to death of the multiple wakings from midnight - its exhausting (as I'm sure you all know!) . Going to have a glass of wine, do some reading and mull it all over! Thanks again x

Babybeesmama Tue 09-Apr-13 19:32:37

Well, had a change of heart & we are on night 2 of CC! Last night he got to 16 min check before he settled, tonight was only 2 mins! I still co slept for part of last night but attempting not to tonight (I just don't sleep properly for fear of squashing him!). So, any tips and hints welcome! X

DrGarnettsEasterMixture Wed 10-Apr-13 19:46:49

Grantsunflower21 Thu 11-Apr-13 19:48:46

It's night 6 tonight...last night was awful (regression?!) so hoping for a better night tonight!

MamaBear17 Tue 16-Apr-13 20:57:31

I have just found this thread after posting on another thread in parenting. For those of you who are finding it tough, may I share my experience? When my dd was 8 months old she became a nightmare to settle at night. I did something very similar to Jo's method, but the only difference was I only left her to cry for one minute before returning. I never doubled the time and left her longer. I would go in, lay her down, shhhh and rub her tummy and then leave. I started timing my minute once I had left and closed the door. I found hearing her cry just too difficult to cope with to double the time and leave her longer. My DD had colic as a tiny baby and I barely got through it. Hearing her cry, even in temper, sent me into a panic. One minute was manageable. The good news is, it still worked for us. The first night took 2 hours, by the end of the week we were down to five minutes. Within ten days there was no crying at all. DD now (at 20 months) tells me to put her in to bed once she has finished her milk, says 'night night, love you mummy' and turns over and goes to sleep.

At 8 months my dd was still waking in the night at 2ish and 4ish. I will be honest and say I did not use controlled crying for this. She was a very skinny baby so I continued to give her milk when she woke in the night so that I knew she was returning to bed full and satisfied. For some reason, she didn't really cry when we put her back to bed in the middle of the night. There were a couple of nights where she did but I returned to my 'minute method' after I had fed her. She very quickly dropped the 4am wake up and was going 7-2, 2-6. I reduced the amount of milk I gave her at 2am to 3oz. At 18 months she dropped the 2am feed and finally slept through. It was a long road to sleeping through, but too be honest, 7-2, 2-6 was manageable, I just went to bed a little earlier. HTH

CitygirlbytheC Tue 19-May-15 21:09:03

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but this method seems interesting - can I ask (if anyone's still around!) when your baby woke in the night did you go straight in, settle then come out and start the 2 mins or dis you wait 2 mins from as soon as they started crying?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now