I'm so fed up of the who mundane nature of sleep :-(

(14 Posts)
sleepdodger Sat 29-Dec-12 14:36:12

I have posted on here many many times
Ds now 21 months is still a nightmare with sleep
I'm writing this whilst pushing his buggy on the spot trying to rock him to sleep for a nap- the only thing which ever works
However it's not today
He's in a foul mood
We co slept last night to try and get some sleep and that didn't work
He's not Ill
I'm fed up with being shattered
Fed up with it being the only thing I can talk about when people ask how he is- I try not to but it's so dominating in our lives it just comes out
I'm fed up of having no evening to do anything like tidy iron eyc the house is a constant tip
The effect on me & dh is awful
We've not been out in 6 months because tgere is no one we can ask to baby sit a screaming toddler
I'm just sad with it all
When will it get better?
I've tried so many techniques
If this sounds familiar please can you advise when it improved and what if anything might have contributed to the change?
If you're child has always been an ok sleeper pls don't reply- sure you're good meaning but honestly unless you've been in the floor with sleep deprivation it just isn't the same hmm
Thanks

Gumby Sat 29-Dec-12 14:39:10

sad

Dd was like this

I just accepted that she dropped her nap a lot younger than most toddlers

At age 5 she finally started 7-7 sleeping
She used to get up in the evenings as soon as we put her to bed
It really sucks

Gumby Sat 29-Dec-12 14:40:10

I wouldn't bother with rocking him in pushchair tbh

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 29-Dec-12 14:43:12

Will he lie on pillows on the floor/the sofa and watch a film or listen to music? Even if he doesn't sleep, that'll help him rest. It's all he would be likely to get at a nursery!

rubyslippers Sat 29-Dec-12 14:44:14

have you asked for a referral to a sleep clinic?

your GP and/or HV should be able to do this

2 years of not sleeping is not right

the thing i found with both my poor sleepers (babies) was the more over tired they were the harder it was to settle

so, putting them to bed much earlier than i thought helped

with DD - she has a 5 month spate of not going to sleep at night and having to be fed to sleep etc etc it was one night of not feeding her that cracked it - she was a similar age

wasn't nice and she was shouting with rage that i wouldn't feed her to sleep (breastfed) but it was one night

PoppyWearer Sat 29-Dec-12 14:48:52

Both of my DCs have been nightmare sleepers.

As for when it gets better...well my DC1 is now sleeping much better since starting school, as she is so tired. But still rubbish at going to sleep at nights.

DC2 has been better than DC1, he just has to slot in with the rest of us. But he still steals our evenings. We also do the buggy thing sometimes but less so now.

It's rotten.

ledkr Sat 29-Dec-12 15:04:39

Come and join our thread we all have same age babies who aren't sleeping. Have you tried Ny sleep training

sleepdodger Sat 29-Dec-12 16:05:48

Thanks all I appreciate your replies
What's NY sleep training, not heard of it - defo sounds interesting
Also where is this thread?? It sounds like something I need in my life!!

ledkr Sat 29-Dec-12 16:56:57

Uh oh sorry that was a typo there is no ny sleep trains v I know of blush
Sorry the thread is in sleep I can't link on phone so look in sleep its dd 22 months suddenly refusing to go to sleep. See you there

sleepdodger Sun 30-Dec-12 20:02:52

I've joined you on other thread waves whilst typing outside screaming toddler room
Hands out winebrew

Iggly Sun 30-Dec-12 20:42:20

Could he have food intolerances or silent reflux? Or ear problems? Has this been checked out?

LauraPashley Sun 30-Dec-12 20:46:37

My dd2 is 20mths and the same. Dd1 slept through for the 1st time at 3yrs, now aged 5 she is still not reliable but much better. So I think I might sleep through the night a year from now if I am lucky?!!
It is grim. I am resigned to it. My friends ds first slept through at SEVEN YEARS OLD!! It is taking years off my life I am sure!

Ineedacoffee Tue 01-Jan-13 22:03:57

Ds was dreadful. I realised at about 20 months that he was mouth breathing and sometimes stopping breathing alltogether. We had him assessed and he had his tonsils and adenoids taken out. He is a new child. Sleeps better eats better and so much happier because he is well rested. He is now 30 months.

Same here, bf ds to sleep day and night til he was 15 months, now at 2.6 he has to have one of us to sit with him every eve while he goes to sleep and he STILL wakes after an hour or so to come in our bed.
We will break this habit its just a question of whens the best time (is there even one?!) as dd is 8 weeks old and shes going the same way...

I know how you feel about sleep (or lack of) feeling like it rules your life, dh and I have had hundreds on convos about it, whats best to do etc.

Tbh sometimes I just think whats the point of trying to change anything, as much as it sucks he'll grow out of it eventually hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now