is co-sleeping common?

(102 Posts)
ForbiddenFruitt Sun 23-Dec-12 17:29:15

I never did it, never even contemplated it. I had the moses basket right next to the side of the bed instead.

Two good friends have babies under 12m and they both co-sleep.

Not judging if people do it, just wondering whether it is quite common?

Jeggie Tue 25-Dec-12 08:08:10

I planned to from the start as I read that overall you get more sleep and that it helps with breast feeding. It worked well for us. I was very rarely tired. Dd is now 12m and goes down in her cot in own room but comes into us around 2-4 when she wakes hungry. I'm too sleepy (lazy?!) to settle her back in cot, much easier to take to ours, latch on and both go back to sleep. I'm confident she will one day sleep all night in her own bed, but for now this works for us.

I personally think it is quite common and it would be better if people talked about it more. Lots of people seen to feel like they are doing something wrong if they cosleep. But it can easily be made safe and the sleep benefits are good IMO. Yes you get disturbed more often but you are in tune with baby so it is a gentle awakening not the baby screaming in another room shock bolt upright thing. Research has shown you get more sleep overall.

catwoman101 Tue 25-Dec-12 20:24:52

I don't understand all these posts saying more people do it than admit to it. My dd is 12wo and almost all our baby friends say they do it and no one bats an eyelid.

I personally never would with a baby, but if an older child was ill and needed comfort ( and was old enough to escape my efforts to take over the bed) then I would try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now