Baby bedding/temperature confusion...

(7 Posts)
Optimism Tue 18-Dec-12 22:53:43

So, baby sleeping bags seem to come in tog ratings of either 2.5 or occasionally 3.5. Duvets come in tog ratings of 2.5 to 13.5.

I thought that babies were supposed to wear one layer more than I would wear? Our duvet is about 10 tog in the winter I think. So why am I supposed to put my baby in a sleeping bag of only 2.5 tog? Or, if using blankets, he should be in a room of between 16 and 20 degrees C with only two layers of cellular blankets and a sheet. When our bedroom is only 16 degrees it feels freezing and if I tried to sleep with only two layers of cellular blanket I'd be so cold I'd never get to sleep.

I am confused. I know that overheating a baby is dangerous but do babies need to wear more or less than I do?

teacher123 Wed 19-Dec-12 07:09:58

I really don't understand either. If I slept in what DS sleeps in I'd freeze! Apparently each layer of clothing adds one tog... We have his nursery at around 21 degrees and have to leave the heating on as otherwise he just wakes up with the cold. He wears a long sleeved vest, flannel or fleece sleep suit and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

PearlyWhites Wed 19-Dec-12 09:13:28

It's because the mass area of a baby is much smaller than an adult therefore less togs are needed.

KatAndKit Wed 19-Dec-12 09:52:01

As pearly whites said. I have a really nice thick duvet on at the moment and it keeps me lovely and warm. However my baby is a fraction of my weight so the relative weight of my duvet would be much heavier on him than it is on me.
At the moment mine wears a long sleeved vest, ordinary babygrow and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag. I do have the heating on a bit longer at the moment - if I couldn't do that I'd be putting him in a fleece babygrow on colder nights. Our house is about 18 degrees maximum upstairs at the moment. If it gets to/above 18 degrees then I use the short sleeved vests instead.

Very well explained Kat!

My LO wears a long-sleeve vest, babygro and a 2.5 tog bag. Then I tuck a cellular blanket over over him (tucked in at sides and bottom). This helps keep him in place - otherwise he wakes up a billion times at night because he's rolled over and banged his head!

nextphase Wed 19-Dec-12 18:29:52

Ignore the number comparision to our duvets!
Just take it on fact that 2.5 and PJ's / vest is fine for a little person/

Cot bed duvets seem to come as 4 tog, and my 3 year old is fine.
18 month currently fine in 2.5 tog and PJ's.

Optimism Fri 28-Dec-12 22:00:10

Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now