Misery loves company: anyone want to join me on a support thread for those desperate and demoralised by their 8/9/10 mo sleep?

(1000 Posts)
Suchanamateur Tue 11-Dec-12 14:36:13

Bloody sleep regression. It's like 4 months all over again but worse because it felt (briefly) like we were getting somewhere. Feck. Anyone else want to share tales of woe or is it (a) just me or (b) way too depressing to post about..?

We've had one since she was weeks old - stories, bath, nightclothes on, into sleeping bag, feed and then into cot. It's only in the last couple of weeks that she's started waking and crying when put in her cot.

Oh, poor you. Can't remember how old yours is...would it be the nine month sleep regression?

HearMyRoar Sat 19-Jan-13 21:33:05

Well, I had though we were doing quite well with her sleeping from 6:30 to 8:30 but she has just woken again. Dp is with her and I am wondering whether to go offer some boob as it might be quicker that way and we are in the middle of a film.

She's 8 months and about a week so she could be heading into it.

DH settled her into the cot in the end with one of her bunny rabbits - I've been trying to introduce a lovey and it looks like she's chosen a different one altogether! Fortunately it's from Jellycat so if this works a few times I will order a spare... grin

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Sat 19-Jan-13 22:04:53

Please can I join you??

I've not read much of the thread, but i will try and keep up from now.

I love the title,and i am miserably sleep deprived. I have DD, 2.4 and my dts (2 boys), 9.5 months. One does. Not. Sleep. Wakes 1-2 hourly, cot battles. Other wakes 2-3 times. DD wakes every few nights but does often sleep through now finally Thank goodness.

Bedtime routine. Tick
comforter toy. Tick.
Self settle at bedtime. Tick (for one anyway, occasionally the other too)

Both Ebf. I'm desperate, would love a bit of company grin

Pull up a chair, dreaming ! It's no fun at all and I find it hard sometimes to remember that she isn't doing this on purpose. And I only have the one!

Stripy bunny needs a better name. Suggestions? What do your DCs uses as loveys? <distracting self>

Ah the jellycat bunny, well loved, tatty and still carried around by 3.5 year old dd1. Cures many a nightmare and tearful episode if you can get them latched onto one. Glad she has chosen replaceable one, we are on the third one.

Pick a name she can say easily from an early age so you will know it is that she wants.

Got to get one for stitch as taggies bunny is irreplaceable, can't find more anywhere.

Well, we've been wide awake here for an hour and a half. Commander - maybe both of ours are getting in early on the nine month sleep regression early. I wish it didn't include quite so much hair-pulling...

DS's toy is no longer made by the company it came from <worry> Cute though - it's identical to one of our dogs so he's got a real version and a fake version.

Howdy dreaming. That all sounds thoroughly miserable right there. Twins <shudder>

Stripy rabbit...see, we're shit with names here. We'd probably call it 'stripy rabbit' or something equally genius.

Oh, it's chortling and babbling to itself. I think nature purposely designs babies to be at their cutest at the most ungodly hours to ensure they survive infancy without being smothered by their parents.

Best go before he succeeds in grabbing my phone and hurling it floorwards.

HearMyRoar Sun 20-Jan-13 08:02:46

Gosh dreaming, welcome to the thread. You are in good company here, feel free to come and rant as much as you like. smile

Yesterday's short nap experiment wasn't a disaster but neither was it a resounding success. 5 wake ups, only one difficult to settle. So about average really. Think we'll try it again tonight and see what happens.

Interesting about the naps dropping. She is getting harder to settle for her morning one but definitely still needs it, but maybe she's building up to losing it.

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Sun 20-Jan-13 08:55:08

Hmm, DT1 has the jellycat comforter dog and DT2 the rabbit. I tried and tried with DD, rabbit down my top, there for feeds, but never any success.

<drumroll> DT2 only woke once last night. He is a little poppet though, self settles with his rabbit thing and finger sucking. It's no big break through though, every month or so he does this- one wake up, once a month! Maybe to try and secure a position as Favourite Twin?! wink

However full blown argument with dh at 3am following very very disturbed night from 9pm to then. Argument started by Dhs claim of 'he's asking for cc' . No, no he's not, he wants yet more attention and to come back into our bed. Co sleeping with a horribly difficult to settle DT1 does not work when you are getting up to feed his brother and it wakes him again, so I'm going to persevere with the cot...

My DD was 11 months when she went to one nap a day.

elphaba, at least they're cute then. Mine wriggles, writhes and screams. Not cute.

How old are your dc ladies?

Boomerwang Sun 20-Jan-13 09:08:20

Update: Last time I posted it was 2.45am or something and she slept all the way through the night without waking and woke up at 9am!

Last night we repeated the same swaddling thing, leaving her legs free so she couldn't kick it off, and she slept from 8.30pm to nearly 9am without waking even ONCE!!!

I also bought The Wonder Weeks and although my baby has already passed a lot of the weeks mentioned in the book I like to read the entire thing, and it's a bit of an eye opener already, so worth the money I think (£5.71 for kindle edition), just in case anyone was interested in the book smile

HearMyRoar Sun 20-Jan-13 09:33:39

I think dd would sleep with our wireless mouse if we let her. I used to let her hold it at nap time sometimes when I napped her on my lap on the sofa. She's a funny thing though grin

dreaming dd will be 10 months on the 23rd. I think she is past the worst of the 9 month regression (waking every hour all night) but waking 4 times would still be considered a cracking night in this house. Ho hum...

We are currently starting to stress a bit as we have an evening in London on the 5th march. We booked it ages ago for dp's birthday treat, we foolishly thought that dd would at least sleep evenings by this point. Not only does she not sleep evenings but our preferred sitter (my mum who dd has a day with every week) can't do it so it will be someone she doesn't know as well. Aarrgh! Its a recipe for hours and hours of screaming baby. Sob...what should be an amazing evening see some amazing music is looking like its going to be an evening of stressing sad

Welcome dreaming, in my tired state I missed you there last night. Twins! <takes hat off> That would annoy me too, especially in the middle of the night, no baby asks for cc.

Wow boomerwang, even if she doesn't manage it every night a few nights like that means you can recharge your batteries.

HearMyRoar, your dd sounds very cute grin. Do you live in London?

HearMyRoar Sun 20-Jan-13 15:05:58

We live about an hour away by train. So this will be our first evening out of town. I'm actually feeling a bit better about it now as we went round a friend's house and she has agreed to sit for us. She is a teacher so made of sturdy stuff, she assures us she can withstand an evening of screaming baby if required grin

Dd is napping in bed and has now been sleeping for over an hour! [Shock]

feekerry Sun 20-Jan-13 16:42:17

Welcome dreaming. I too am close to falling out with my dp due to lack of sleep. Its not anyone's fault i know but its okay for him when i eventually give in and haul dd into our bed at stupid o'clock as he then sleeps well but i am the one getting pushed more and more out of the bed with only half a duvet covering me and a rather large baby pulling my hair, scratching and kicking me for the rest of the night.

Well as you can probably guess very little sleep had here last night. Knew it was too good to last. Dd slept from 7 to 11 which is always a sign of trouble as for some random reason if she wakes around 11 then the next time she wakes is usually when hell begins. So she then woke at 3 and true to form didn't go back to sleep till about 5. The whole time she was pulling my hair, kicking and screaming dada dada. Not impressed at all. Our day then started at 6.20am . Yuk

Fee if she wants her dada then maybe he should have been the one to get up with her. Do you have a spare bed in her room at all? With dd1 who was far worse (if that is possible) than stitch I used to put toys in her cot and doze in the single bed in her room when she refused to go back to sleep in the middle of the night.

Glad to hear you found someone HearMyRoar, we haven't had a night out in 3.5 years!

feekerry Sun 20-Jan-13 18:45:21

Unfortunately stitch dd will not let dp settle her anymore. Since this whole sleep nightmare started few months ago she screams blue murder if he tries and settles her.
Was trying to avoid the seperate beds things but last night walls awful so we have put the spare bed in dd room so i can sleep with her in there if needs must.

sad fee that is tough. Does she settle for him at nap time or not at all?

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Mon 21-Jan-13 07:20:14

Snap, I was up with my 28mo who wouldn't have daddy after DT1's first wake up- so 9 for DT1, 9:30-10:45 for DD, 1 for DT1, 2 for DT2, by 4 DT1 in bed with me... He fell out about 5am. I'm a terrible mother blush . They do say don't co sleep if you're exhausted, and I am. But I'd fed his brother from the other side at 2 so he was nearest the edge and o just fell asleep and let go sad . It wouldn't even be so bad if this wasn't the second time its happened in a week sad sad :,

We are recovering from double croup and all three coughing their guts up afterwards so sleep has been non existant but still...

I totally hear you fee I hate co sleeping... We have one of the dts in a travel cot wedged into our tiny boxroom with a single bed. I thought it was tight with the bed, no room for a bedside table even, but dh somehow got the travel cot in... DD and the boys have separate rooms but it was one room, just whacked a stud wall up so they're both tiny...

So argh!!!!! I'm knackered, sore back and everything from co sleeping and i dropped the baby!!!

DreamingOfAWhiteChristmas Mon 21-Jan-13 07:22:42

Oh, the point about the travel cot was its a pain to lean in and try unsuccessfully to settle, and being in the single with him in the travel cot makes no difference...

Boomerwang Mon 21-Jan-13 08:30:53

I feel I should leave the thread now. Last night we did the same thing we did both nights before. She woke up only once and took less than five minutes to get her back to sleep.

The changes:

Wrapped her body in blanket, leaving arms and legs free.
Moved her from Baby Semp 2 Lemolac to ordinary Baby Semp 3.
Removed afternoon naps.

I don't know which of these are making it work, could be a combo of all three, but the nights are so much easier now.

Good luck everybody!

Oh dreaming, don't beat yourself up about it, you are knackered. I did exactly the same with dd1 when she was 6 months old onto a wooden floor. Maybe you could get a bed guard for your side, just in case. Which dt is in the travel cot?

I don't do co-sleeping either apart from the odd night when they are ill or I have had enough of the constant up and downs.

Well done Boomerwang, you are always welcome back if things change!

ballroompink Mon 21-Jan-13 09:52:58

I am under the weather atm with a bad throat/cold so DS is not helping. His latest trick is waking up around 9pm and proving a nightmare to get back down. Happy falling asleep on my shoulder cuddling, wakes up and screams the minute he's put down. Last night he woke at 9.45; finally got into bed at 12.15am. Think it's mostly down to teething.

FairyJen Mon 21-Jan-13 10:01:51

Thank god I found you guys! I thought I had a really backwards ds! He sleeps well during the day but night is completely different. sad

He has a routine and will self settle he also has a jellycat Cordy Roy dino calle text who goes everywhere with him.

He has started waking every few hours sometimes will cry but other times will talk, bang on cot, giggle or go exploring up and down cot which is all fine except I can't sleep through the noise! sad

He has also learnt how to wave so as soon as he spots your awake sits grinning like an idiot waving saying hiya hiya over and over and over....

He is just coming up to 8 months now

FairyJen Mon 21-Jan-13 10:04:09

*called rexy not text blush

This thread is not accepting new messages.