Having so many nightmares that I'm afraid to go to sleep - please help.

(14 Posts)

Every night this week I have had graphic and horrific nightmares. Rape, torture, kidnap, my children being taken or dying - the list goes on. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to sleep.

I have always had very vivid dreams, including the odd nightmare, but nothing like this. Nothing traumatic has happened this week. Life is stressful but no more so than usual, there is no major upheaval imminent or anything like that. I haven't made any changes to my diet and haven't read any books or watched any films that might have triggered this.

Please help.

Bumping.

amillionyears Sun 25-Nov-12 18:25:22

Are you on any different medicines at all?

My anti depressants cause me to have the craziest dreams. Could it be medication related? Cheese before bedtime ( evening meal onwards)? Are the things that are causing you to feel stressed different to things you are usually stressed about? I find that can change the type of dreams I have!

I'm on 50mg Sertraline but have been for 3 months.

No, the stresses are the usual ones (at least as far as I'm aware!).

StrawberryMojito Sun 25-Nov-12 18:44:23

Could you be pregnant? Doesn't that cause vivid dreams?

Absolutely no possibility of that! But yes, I had weird dreams when I was pregnant.

I'm on 40mg citalopram but my crazy dreams didn't start straight away. It could be that. Worth a chat with your GP.

I have awful nightmares, which are caused by the ptsd but aren't helped by the high dose of ads!

getagoldtoof Sun 25-Nov-12 19:12:35

If i sleep too much, even half an hour longer I get hideous nightmares. Some of them are still with me, I know they can be quite harrowing. Don't really get them since my son was born as I no longer sleep, but not looking forward to their return now I have someone to really worry about. Hope you get it sorted, it really is unpleasant.

spanky2 England Sun 25-Nov-12 19:19:29

I'm on venalfaxine an i have vivid dreams. Usually bad ones. Most gross was buggering my dh (i was a man.) Also have ones where i pull my insides out my mouth. Talk to your doctor. I don't get upset, but i am disgusted with myself.

Wednesday and spanky I have an appointment with the GP on Thursday so I'll mention it then if it's still happening. Thanks.

goldtoof they do stay with you don't they? I get flashbacks to them during the day, it's horrible.

I get flashbacks to my nightmares during the day. It's awful isn't it? My recurring nightmare is around my labour and having another baby in the same circumstances. I always wake up looking for my baby, and if course she isn't real, but it freaks me out!

spanky2 England Sun 25-Nov-12 19:29:23

I was in Barbados last night. I was having a lovely time until I woke up... So you never know you may have a nice dream tonight .

Spanky, waking up from that must have been awful sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now