Wht could be causing these night wakings in 15mo?

(10 Posts)
MoelFammau Thu 18-Oct-12 22:40:07

My 17mo DD is the same, though is improving a bit now after 2 months of hell. Sometimes it's teeth, I think. She has done the screaming, arching back, clawing at face thing a lot too though and I'm wondering if it's night terrors. I only got her to stop by really waking her up (bright light, firm patting, talking loudly to her)...

happydotcom Thu 18-Oct-12 21:56:32

My ds is 16 mo and had the night from hell last night. He's recovering from a horrible flu but woke up at midnight and screamed and screamed until 5 am.

I think it's teeth but I was so scared as never seem him so inconsolable .....back arching , clawing at my face etc. calpol and brufen given but I just felt so helpless sad

LoobyLou33 Wed 17-Oct-12 18:35:18

Hi, I'd be interested to find out if anyone comes to any conclusions - sorry you others are having such a tough time. Broken sleep is crap!

DS1 is a bit older, 17 months, and has just started waking early (around 5ish, but this morning it was 4.20am) but not wanting to get up, just be soothed back to sleep. He cries loudly but stops as soon as DH or I go into his room. That suggests to me he's not in pain. However when we leave he cries - this morning I sat with him for 40 mins til he was fast asleep (so I thought!) then 3 mins later he was wailing.

We had been bringing him into bed with us just to get some rest, but 4.30 is really too early for that and I worry he'll want to start coming into bed for any night waking.

He is teething - but that's been going on for weeks - and I can't think of any other obvious reasons! I'm pregnant, sleeping badly anyway and realllly tired so it's not a welcome situation! We would potentially let him cry but if he's having bad dreams or something I'd feel awful, so not 100% happy with doing that.

PPL Wed 17-Oct-12 13:18:41

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time Domestic Goddess. That sounds exactly how our nights were the last couple of weeks! Thankfully DS seems to have settled down after a weekend away (the fresh air did him the world of good!) but in reality I suspect it was down to the two new canines that have just appeared. Do you think your DD could be teething?

I do think there is also quite a clingy phase around now. DS won't let go of me and I need to be with him for him to fall asleep which hasn't always been the case.Maybe separation anxiety?

Who knows!

DomesticGoddess31 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:35:40

Ok, sorry for totally hijacking your thread OP, but we just had the worst night. She woke up at 10:30pm and was utterly inconsolable till around midnight when DH managed to finally get her to sleep after calprofen, teething gel and MUCH shhing, rocking and gentle calm talking to, and basically lying next to her cot till she was definitely asleep. A hideous night that took me right back to those dark days that you speak of. Very strange. Still have no clue what its all about, today she's her normal happy self and is currently napping as normal with no fuss.

How was your night OP?

DomesticGoddess31 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:36:41

Hmmmm mine just woke up screaming blue murder. She hasn't done that for months. Now I'm thinking nightmares. Or seperation anxiety. Basically I haven't got a bloody clue.

DomesticGoddess31 Tue 16-Oct-12 18:34:42

Same problem here with my 16 month DD...and have spoken to mum friends with toddlers same age who are experiencing similar. I thought teeth, then I thought cold, now I'm thinking developmental stage and it will pass (please dear lord)

PPL Thu 04-Oct-12 22:15:49

Anyone?

He has refused all food today so I guess it could be teeth....

charlmills Thu 04-Oct-12 08:28:28

My ds is exactly the same. He is 15 months too and is currently waking twice a night and will only go back to sleep with a bottle. He has recently started nursery and has had an awful cold so am hoping its just aftermath.
However he has always been pretty random with his sleep and i feel
we may have got into some bad habits. I've also been thinking about cc but he shares a room with dd so could be tricky.
Im like i though cannot bear to go back to sleepless nights.
I await your responses to see if there is any good advice but u are not alone.

PPL Thu 04-Oct-12 00:07:55

DS has been a good ish sleeper for last 3 months after an utterly terrible first year.

Or the last 5 nights he has woken anywhere between 10pm-4am for 1-2 hrs, initially screaming and then either totally inconsolable until fed back to sleep, or really unsettled and slipping in and out of sleep for what seems like an eternity. Every time I try and leve the room, if not in a totally deep sleep, he pops up and goes bananas again.

Could it be overtireness - he has only just gone from 2-1 naps and i am really struggling to keep him up for his nap around 11-30-12ish. He sleeps for 1.5-2 hrs, then is knackered by 5 and goes to bed between 630-7.

Other possibilities are teeth, but he seems to have most of them by now and this last wake up tonight I was able to get him back of ( after an hour) without getting him out of cot, so I feel I can rule pain out?

Or maybe separation anxiety? Thought we'd escaped that but he does seem v clingy this week.

Any thoughts and how do I nip it in the bud? I am tempted to do cc despite having such a great time with ds recently that it feels like a betrayal. I suffered bad pond and anxiety, and the thought of returning to those dark dark days of sleepless nights fills me with terror.

Thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now