High Needs Baby Support Group (thread IV)

(961 Posts)

Yoohooo! Over here!

<Waves>

The last thread was filling up so I've started us a sparkling new one.

The original thread was to support those of us with babies fitting the following criteria:

1. Feeds frequently daytime
2. Feeds frequently nighttime
3. Needs to be constantly held
4. Wont sleep alone
5. Hates the car seat/pram
6. Short naps

Some of our babies have grown out of some of those now, but we're still here to support each other through the sleepless nights and noisy car journeys and to offer hugs, chocolate and wine to anyone who's struggling.

So if that list sounds familiar then come and join us as we delight in our active, inquisitive, curious and restless babies or toddlers!

Nightmoves Sun 09-Dec-12 00:18:56

Thinking of you Natmu, hope it all seems better in the morning.

TisILeclerc Sun 09-Dec-12 00:41:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ticklemyboobsofsteel Sun 09-Dec-12 07:18:18

Hope things are better today Natmu, thinking of you.

Day 4 of poorly DS sad After falling asleep at 6pm, he woke up at 12.30am, 3.45, and then got up at 6am - and he's not far off falling asleep again now. I just want him to feel better! I'm taking him to the doctor tomorrow if he's no better. His cough is dreadful. His nappies aren't as wet the last few days but he is having tonnes of water and milk, very little solids. We've cut down his calpol and Nurofen as I was a bit worried that he was having it too much (well under the max dose, but I'm a worrier!). I just want my happy little fella back.

Sorry for the essay. I just wish I'd gone with my gut and took him to the doctor last week. Put off by DH, who says it's just a cold. He's probably right but I like having peace of mind.

Hope you all had decent nights. I want Happyland stuff! Not for DS, you understand... For ME to play with! smile

LittleToyMakingMachine Sun 09-Dec-12 13:19:08

Thanks for those articles Joyful. I'm learning a lot from Dr Sears.

Nightmoves Sun 09-Dec-12 21:09:25

I let DS fall asleep in my arms in the living room last night. Dreadful I know, but felt I had not seen DH all week due to DS only sleeping for 20 mins before yammering for me for at least the last 4 nights and I needed a mini-break. He slept for 21/2 hours with only 1 ssshhhh pat required! No boob necessary at all once asleep!!! Once we went to bed the rest of the night was dreadful as per. Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh...

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Sun 09-Dec-12 22:14:40

At least you had a little break! I can't remember, do you co-sleep or does DS sleep (or not!) in a cot?

LittleToyMakingMachine Sun 09-Dec-12 22:48:45

It's not dreadful at all! Do what you need to do!

Nightmoves Sun 09-Dec-12 23:00:41

We are co-sleeping at present. For ages I was settling him in crib then bringing him into bed at first wake up after 10 but he is now too big for crib and I thought he might sleep better if I settled him in our bed right from the start of the night and work on one issue at a time. He doesn't. Things seem much worse at the mo and am hoping it is due to teeth. If not will have to consider putting him in own room and doing some sort of gradual retreat in the new year. Can't go too much longer like this!!!

Natmu Mon 10-Dec-12 23:01:19

Hi everyone, had a busy Sunday entertaining family so didn't have time to check in with my favourite thread. All seems to have calmed down since Friday night. DH and I had a proper chat and he's officially moved back into bed with us. Best wishes to all for a calm and peaceful night.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Tue 11-Dec-12 14:42:14

I haven't been able to get on Mumsnet today and my access large night was pretty dodgy too - maybe I didn't send MNHQ enough Christmas gin? grin

I'm glad things are better now Natmu, I hope they stay that way.

DD and DS are both poorly still - DD hasn't been to preschool yet this week (and hasn't complained about that, so I know she's really poorly!). They're both in fairly good spirits most of the time though.

We put the tree and decorations up yesterday, so we're starting to feel mote festive. I even found all the paper chains and Christmassy pictures that DD and I made last year (when I was housebound due to advanced pregnancy and SPD!). smile

I hope everyone else is having a good day/week so far.

<hands around lebkuchen>

Climbingpenguin Tue 11-Dec-12 15:34:18

sorry, I jumped in and then left you all

we've been battling illness and I have been busy working on a fellowship application (they are more grueling than I thought they would be)

been reading here and there and just wanted to say good luck to everyone and hope things improve for those really struggling atm

Mitsouko Wed 12-Dec-12 14:35:03

Ugh, I have a headache today and am beyond exhausted, but just popping in to say hello as it's been awhile.

<crawls under blanket and leaves out dairy free lemon drizzle cake for all>

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 13-Dec-12 20:17:25

<scoffs drizzle cake>

<makes fresh brew and finds a new supply of matchsticks>

Mitsouko I hope you're feeling better today? And you too Penguin smile

Well DD is still poorly - she has a nasty cough and a temperature (above 39 for most of today). It doesn't look like she'll be going to her preschool Christmas party tomorrow, she hasn't been all week. DS is recovering but is still snotty and not very interested in solid food. DH and I are knackered!

Nightmoves Thu 13-Dec-12 20:42:40

Oh dear! Sorry to hear about the poorly babies - joyful no wonder you and DH are tired. Hope all ill babies and grown ups make full recoveries soon.

We are in the midst of another bad run of nights having barely recovered from our last (had a couple of ok nights at start of the week thank god enabling me to feel like an adequate parent, put my Christmas tree up AND collect a couple of parcels from the post office before midday - I know, impressive). Think he is still teething badly tho, the front 2 are threatening to appear any day now, hopefully! Teething just goes on and on doesn't it??

Good luck for tonight.

Natmu Fri 14-Dec-12 01:25:34

<sniffs mournfully>
<reaches for tissues>
We're now all poorly here too. DS2 has such a sad little cough. DS1 has been hacking his lungs up all week. His reception class sounds like the TB ward. DH is the only fit one so far. Had a really bad night with DS2 last night. It's the laying flat thing that's the problem but I haven't devised a safe/comfortable way to sleep upright hmm

Nightmoves Fri 14-Dec-12 03:53:18

Well DS is ill now too!! Being sick poor little pumpkin. Never seen anything like it. Asleep semi-reclined in my arms at the mo. Am resolved to sitting up for the remainder of the night.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Fri 14-Dec-12 07:26:46

Oh dear, sounds like everyone's having a tough time atm! Huge sympathies. Did you manage to get any sleep Night?

DD is desperate to go to preschool today (it's the last day of term and they're having a Christmas party) but she's still coughing like a 60 a day smoker and still has a temperature. The preschool suggested that I take her in for the last hour or so, as Santa will be visiting, but I'm not sure. I'll see how she goes for the next few hours (preschool is 0930-1230).

<makes fresh brew, puts out tray of matchsticks, biscuit and tissues>

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Fri 14-Dec-12 13:18:15

DD made it to the last hour of her preschool party. smile You should have seen the looks on the children's faces when Santa walked in: shock shock grin

Nightmoves Fri 14-Dec-12 18:06:10

Quick question: DS BF fine but not eating much (some rice and applesauce for tea). Last vomiting half 3 this morning but diarrhoea a couple of times. But teething is bad. Think he is sore. What are thoughts on calpol with dodgy tummy?

Thanks!!!

LittleToyMakingMachine Fri 14-Dec-12 18:08:39

Poor DS :-( I gave calpol and nuerofen when DS had norovirus recently. He did bring the calpol up a couple of times, but not if I left it a little while before giving him milk. I think he only brought it back up after a bottle not a BF.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Fri 14-Dec-12 18:33:08

I would give calpol if he seems to need it.

Nightmoves Fri 14-Dec-12 18:56:09

Thanks ladies. Very helpful.

Nightmoves Fri 14-Dec-12 20:14:25

Have administered and no nasty side effects yet. joyful that's good your DD got to go to her party. Rubbish for her to miss something so good. Was she ok with Santa?

little I think it is the novovirus DS has too. How long did it take your DS to recover? So horrible.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Fri 14-Dec-12 20:32:09

She was fine with Santa, although I'm not entirely sure she was convinced. A few weeks ago she was certain that Santa was just a character from a story, then she announced one day that on Christmas Eve we have to leave out beer and sausages for Santa. I don't know quite how much she believes!

Glad to hear the calpol hasn't had any nasty effects. I hope he's better soon, it's so horrible when they're ill.

LittleToyMakingMachine Sat 15-Dec-12 09:25:40

Night - he had temp and vomitting for about 4 days, but he ha diarrhoea for weeks. In that time, he got noro again, twice in a month (so did I, it was grim). Hope you're not so unlucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now